Well known Mac and PC TV tuner manufacturer Elgato will soon be releasing a TV tuner made specifically for the iPad 2. The tuner will clip into the 30 pin dock connector on the iPad 2 and comes complete with a telescopic aerial. The tuner is a DVB-T freeview tuner which is geared towards the European market. The companion app will be available free from the App Store and will enable pausing and recording of live TV directly to your iPad 2.
EyeTV Mobile is made specifically for your iPad 2. Simply connect it to the dock connector and open the EyeTV Mobile app (available on the App Store). The television signal comes straight from the miniature telescopic aerial so you don’t need an internet connection. You get unlimited live TV on your iPad 2 without touching your data plan.
- An easy-to-use iPad 2 TV tuner for live, mobile television anywhere
- Provides a full range of TV viewing features including pause, rewind, and record
- Receives and even records DVB-T radio transmissions directly to your iPad 2
- Connects directly to the iPad 2 dock connector
- Receives a DTT (Freeview) television and radio signal from the miniature telescopic aerial
- No internet connection required, so it doesn’t touch your data plan
I am a little concerned with the how well the telescopic aerial will work. From past experience with freeview reception, these sort of aerials never seem to work very well. Having said that, it is a neat accessory for the iPad 2. It should be available soon at a price of £99.95 ($166). For a list of counties which support DVB transmissions visit DVB.org.