Contradicting earlier reports, the FBI is now said to have paid under $1 million for the method it used to unlock the iPhone in the San Bernardino shooting case. The Bureau will also apparently be able to use the same technique to unlock other phones, specifically iPhone 5c units running iOS 9.
The FBI paid under $1 million for the technique used to unlock the iPhone used by one of the San Bernardino shooters - a figure smaller than the $1.3 million the agency's chief initially indicated the hack cost, several U.S. government sources said on Thursday.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation will be able to use the technique to unlock other iPhone 5C models running iOS 9 - the specifications of the shooter's phone - without additional payment to the contractor who provided it, these people added.
The report also claims that FBI Director James Comey may not even know who supplied the Bureau with the workaround, though it is thought to be Israeli mobile forensics firm Cellebrite
This report follows statements made last week by Director Comey that the Bureau had paid more for the unlocking mechanism than he would receive for the remainder of his time in his position. The FBI purchased the workaround following its failed attempts to compel Apple into helping it unlock the phone.