Learn the intimate details of the Siri Remote for Apple TV.
The remote control for the fourth-generation Apple TV is significantly different than its predecessor. There is no directional pad. There are new buttons. And the new model has a trackpad. The buttons on the Siri Remote are somewhat self-explanatory, but you may not fully understand everything they can do. Here are their functions.
How to use the Menu button on the Siri Remote
The Menu button is the most versatile of the Siri Remote buttons.
- Press the Menu button to start or exit the screen saver.
- Press the Menu button while in an app to back out of any screen.
- Press the Menu button on the Apple TV Home screen to jump to the first app in the Home tray.
Press and hold the Menu button for two seconds to jump to the Home screen from anywhere.
How to use the Home button on the Siri Remote
The Home button is the best way to get out of a jam, quick.
- Press the Home button to jump to the Home screen from anywhere.
- Press the Home button for two seconds to activate the Sleep function.
Double-press the Home button to see your recently used apps in Multitasking.
How to use the Play/Pause button on the Siri Remote
The Play/Pause button is the king of media content control on Apple TV.
- Press the Play/Pause button to pause or play content, including music, movies, and games that support it.
- When you press and hold the trackpad for one-second to enter jiggly mode, you can then press the Play/Pause button to access the app options menu to delete it.
- While in a text form, press the Play/Pause button to toggle between upper and lowercase.
While on the Home screen, press and hold the Play/Pause button for five seconds to jump to the currently playing or last played song in the Music app.
How to use the Siri button
The Siri button is your verbal gateway to everything that Siri can help you do.
- Press the Siri button to get tips on how to use the virtual assistant.
- Press and hold the Siri button to activate Siri.
- While still holding the Siri button speak into the microphone at the top of the Siri Remote.
Let go of the Siri button when you are done talking to hear the response.
How to use the volume control buttons
The volume controls can be used to turn up or down the audio when you connect your Siri remote to your TV set.
- Press the plus (+) button to increase the volume of your TV set.
Press the minus (-) button to decrease the volume of your TV set.
And that is the anatomy of the Siri Remote.