iBooks Author, Apple book creation app for Mac, has gone 2.0 and is now available in the Mac App Store. It includes the ability to make portrait-only books, embed custom fonts, and more. As the resident math nerd, the most exciting new feature to me is support for creating mathematic expressions with LaTeX and MathML.
- Create new gorgeous portrait-only books
- Embed custom fonts into books for complete control over text appearance
- Add even more interactivity with new Scrolling Sidebar and Pop-Over widgets
- Support for mathematical expressions with new native equation editing using both LaTeX and MathML notation
- Automatic optimization of media for iPad
- Improved support for embedded audio, including the ability to play an audio file by tapping an image
- Improved publishing workflow, including automatic sample book creation and pre-publish checking
- Additional Apple-designed templates
- Version numbering for books
- Enhanced to take advantage of the Retina display on the new MacBook Pro
- Performance improvements
- Usability improvements
Have any of you written a book with iBooks Author, yet? Are you planning to? I started a math study guide a long time ago and never finished partly because of how tedious it was to add equations, but now that iBooks Author supports LaTeX, I just may finish that project soon rather than later!