In the past 24 hours we have seen major updates to not one but two software unlocks for the iPhone 3GS. Who says competition isn't a good thing and who doesn't love a good old fashion hacker fight? Let's get it on:
In the red corner we have George Hotz along with his fresh version of purplesn0w RC2.
- 3G(the network speed) issues fixed
- Now only patches one file, CommCenter
- Leaves no traces on your baseband after it runs.
- Much more clean and reliable.
In the blue corner we have the iPhone Dev Team. And since Hotz released his source code, his competition used it to create their latest version of ultrasn0w .09.
- Works on both 3G and 3GS
- Doesn’t patch any mach-o binary whatsoever. (Doesn’t require a separate patch as each new firmware comes out).
- Has no race conditions, no popups about “Missing SIM”, no network issues
- Is almost 7000 times smaller than its nearest competition :)
So there you have it - two software unlocks for your iPhone 3G/3GS. You have to credit George Hotz for stepping his game up when the Dev Team has been dragging their feet. It really seems to have sparked up a good rivalry that we can all benefit from.
There is one major question though, how do you score the match?