Announced late last month, Apple's newly revamped iTunes U 2.0 app for iOS is now live in the App Store and ready to download. The update brings a slew of new features for both educators and learners.
With iTunes U 2.0, students can now take part in private course discussions and learn from a number of free hosted courses while teachers can create courses, record lectures, and upload course materials and documents directly from their iPad.
Apple now boasts over 750,000 courses that are available for free in a variety of subjects and topic areas.
Below are the features that are new to iTunes U 2.0:
- Students participating in private courses can pose questions on the course or any post or assignment
- Other students in the class can jump into the discussion and ask more questions or provide answers
- Teachers and students can keep up with the conversation when they receive push notifications as the discussion progresses
- Teachers can now create and update their courses using the iTunes U app on their iPad—getting started is fast, simple, and completely free
- Provide every student a course outline, write posts, distribute assignments, upload class materials, easily track participating students, and much more
- Take advantage of the built in camera on iPad to easily capture photos or videos and upload them for course assignments
- Create materials using Pages, Numbers, and Keynote—or other apps from the App Store—and add them to your course by using "Open in iTunes U" from within each app
- Teachers affiliated with qualified institutions have the option to publish their courses to the iTunes U Catalog—making them available to everyone for free
Are you ready to jump start your learning this summer?
- Free - Download now