Ending literally half a year of speculation, Apple on Wednesday announced that its new Mac Pro will finally be available to order starting Thursday, December 19th. The completely redesigned Mac Pro will be available starting at $2,999.
The Mac Pro was first unveiled at Apple's WWDC event in San Francisco this past June. In October, Apple narrowed the Mac Pro's release date to December, providing some details about basic configurations and prices on its online store web site. Since then, pro Mac users waiting for new heavy iron from Apple have just had to be patient. But their wait will soon be over, as Apple is finally going to be accepting orders for the new computer tomorrow - though it stopped short of specifying when ordered Mac Pros will ship.
The Mac Pro is a radical reimagining of Apple's highest-end Macintosh computer - one-eighth the volume of its predecessor but with dramatically better performance, the device is completely solid-state - internal hard drives have been replaced with flash memory, and the system is built around a unified thermal core that vents heat through a turbine-shaped case with a central fan. What's more, the Mac Pro is being assembled in the United States, a turnabout for Apple, which heavily depends on Chinese manufacturing facilities for most of its hardware.
The Mac Pro starts at $2,999, equipped with a 3.7 GHz quad-core Xeon E5 processor, dual AMD FirePro D300 GPUs, 12 GB RAM and 256 GB flash storage. A $3,999 model is also available, with a 3.5 GHz 6-core processor, dual AMD FirePro D500 GPUs, 16 GB RAM and 256 GB flash storage. Configure-to-order options include more RAM, better CPUs with more cores, AMD FirePro D700 GPUs, and more flash storage.
Apple will post prices on configure-to-order options on its store once it's accepting orders for the Mac Pro, beginning Thursday.
- iPad Air vs. MacBook Air: Which Apple ultra-portable should you get?
- MacBook Air vs. MacBook Pro: Which laptop should you get?
- MacBook Air 11-inch vs. 13-inch: Which ultralight laptop should you get?
- MacBook Pro with Retina display 13-inch vs. 15-inch: Which powerful Mac laptop should you get?
- Mac mini vs. iMac vs. Mac Pro: Which Apple desktop should you get?
- Retina 5K iMac vs. Mac Pro: Which Mac powerhouse should you get?
- Mac mini: Which entry-level options should you get?
- 21.5-inch iMac vs. 27-inch iMac vs Retina 5K iMac: Which all-in-one desktop Mac should you get?
- The New Mac Pro: What options to Apple's high-end Mac should you get?
- CPU vs. RAM vs. SSD: Which Mac upgrades should you get?