Popular third-party podcast app Overcast has been updated to version 2.5, adding a number of improvements, as well as a couple of features for patrons. Enhancements have been made to voice boost, the visualizer, and adding episodes, while syncing has seen major improvements to speed and the amount of data used.
Here's everything you'll find in Overcast 2.5:
New features for patrons:
- Dark theme with San Francisco font
- Play your own files uploaded via Overcast's website
New features for everyone:
- New, smaller visualizer with far less battery usage
- Improved Voice Boost, with a separate, custom-tuned profile when using the iPhone's built-in speaker
- Tapping inactive episodes now adds them, rather than immediately playing them via streaming. (Tap again to play.)
- Batch Add/Delete All episodes for a podcast (finally!)
- The directory window now stays open after adding a podcast (finally!)
- Much faster syncing with much less data usage
- Bug fixes
In order to take advantage of the patron features, you'll need to head over to the Support Overcast section of the app's settings and select a three, six, or 12-month patronage. These aren't subscriptions, just different amounts you can elect to pay to support the app, which is otherwise free. Developer Marco Arment switched to this model with Overcast 2.0, which made features like Voice Boost and Smart Speed completely free after they had previously been locked behind an in-app purchase.
You can grab Overcast 2.5 from the App Store now.
- Free - Download Now