Went into the App Store and what did I see, why an updated Remote app for iTunes and AppleTV! One of the first apps in the App Store at launch, the latest update for Remote [free - iTunes link] turbo charges the cool factor with support for gesture-based Apple TV control. Very slick:
- Hold down "Menu" to bring up main menu. Swipe to move around.
- Tap to play or pause music or video.
- Drag left or right and hold to rewind or fast-forward music.
- Flick left or right for previous or next music track.
- Flick left or right or drag and hold to rewind or fast-forward video.
- Flick down to show chapter markers, then flick left or right to skip through video.
- Drag two fingers left for 10 second reply.
- Tap "Exit" or "Options" for those actions.
If you hit exit, you get similar functions, art display, etc. to the previous version of the Remote app. Hitting Options brings up a new overlay menu on the Apple TV. Speaking of which...
The new Apple Remote app's gesture features require iPhone 3.0 and the latest Apple TV software update, also released today (which seems to have gotten a UI over haul as well). Get that, or you won't get the nifty new interface.
I'm trying it. I'm liking it. How about you?
More screen shots after the break!
[gallery link="file" columns="2"]