Boxee, a branch of XBMC (originally Xbox Media Center, something that gave my original Xbox a life and power well beyond what Microsoft ever intended) is free alternative to Microsoft's Media Center and Apple's Front Row and AppleTV that many believe soundly beats both on features alone. It's had some hiccups as of late, what with Big Media pulling Hulu content (they likely don't want Hulu on TVs as the same shows fetch much higher ad revenue from traditional networks than they do from the internet streams), but that hasn't stopped them from pushing forward. The latest example? Boxee Remote for iPhone:
- the boxee remote app has two modes: Gesture and Buttons
- in the Gesture mode you need to hold down your thumb and move it around in order to navigate.
- clicking on the boxee logo acts as Select/Play/Pause
- dragging the boxee logo to the edges of the screen will act as a continuous up/down/left/right
- clicking in an input field will open up the iPhone Qwerty keyboard and will enable you to easily enter text
- the app works over WiFi, so make sure the WiFi on your iPhone is turned on
If you're a Boxee user and you try this out, let us know how it works for you!