Mplayit | iMore

Order: BeatsX | AirPods | MacBook Pro | iPhone 7 | Shop: Insanely Cheap Wireless Plans


iPhone users willing to buy more apps, BlackBerry users to pay more

Mplayit is digging through more of their usage data and interesting things are being turned up. Here's the take away this time around:

  • On average, across all device platforms approximately 35 percent of users are interested in paid applications.
  • More than half of the most popular apps on Mplayit's iPhone (Arcade or platform) are paid, 57 percent, compared to 33 percent on BlackBerry and 16 percent on Android.
  • BlackBerry users are willing to pay the biggest premium for apps, with a median price point of $5.99, compared to $2.72 on Android and $1.99 on iPhone.

Says Michael Powers, Mplayit CEO:

“Our analysis dispels the myth that consumers aren’t willing to shell out money for great mobile applications. If you’re making a quality app, don’t be afraid to charge for it.”

More →

Games Way More Popular on iPhone than Other Smartphones

Anyone surprised that games are way more popular on the iPhone than on competing plaforms? Mplayit has put out some interesting stats, not only on what apps are popular with their Facebook sharing users, but what kinds of apps are popular on the various platforms they monitor. While on Android and BlackBerry, non-game apps account for 83% and 67% of popular titles, on the iPhone they're only 36%. That leaves 64% for games.

That might be a concern, frankly, if the numbers weren't north of 150,000 leaving plenty of room for great productivity, utility, social networking, and other apps in addition to the increasingly good games. Embarrassment of riches indeed.

More →

Mplayit for Facebook and iPhone

When TiPb posted on Mplayit, being a huge iPhone and Facebook fan, I decided to take a closer look and here's what I found -- Mplayit takes browsing and buying iPhone apps to a whole new level. Mplayit is an application on facebook, or a website on your iPhone, that allows you to find apps, read a description, rating and an iTunes link to download them. Sound familiar? There's more, Mplayit not only does these things well, but also gives you YouTube videos of apps and ways to share the app. In facebook you can share on your wall or send a message. There are also links to share via Twitter or email. On the iPhone, you can share via the mail app.

Apps can also be added to Mplayit's "collections" feature. Simply click the add to my collection link on your favorite app. Mplayit will also "learn" over time what apps to recommend to you based on what you add to your collection. You can search for apps by typing the name in the search box, or you can choose to look at apps based on category.

I am very excited about this new way to browse apps for your iPhone. The added value of video and wide array of sharing options along with collections make this one compelling alternative to the iTunes app store.

Have friends that don't have an iPhone? That's ok, word on the street says that Mplayit will be launching soon on BlackBerry and Android platforms. Check out the screenshots below for examples of the desktop app and iPhone webpage. You can read more about Mplayit on their corporate site, or on Twitter.

More →