Untethered iOS 5.1.1 jailbreak will reportedly arrive in a matter of days, support the new iPad [Updated]
The untethered iOS 5.1.1 jailbreak could be released in a matter of days. Many people have been eagerly awaiting an untethered jailbreak for the latest version of iOS 5.1.1. It has taken a while for it to even look possible never mind become available. Now it appears that the wait may finally be over and it could arrive as early as next week. According to jailbreak developer pod2g.
Thanks to awesome work of @planetbeing and @pimskeks, we're near ready for a release. Now it's a matter of days.
Update: @MuscleNerd has provided some additional information, which he prefaces by saying is tentative and subject to last minute change:
- the initial 5.1.1 plan used a kernel exploit from @westbaer which unfortunately precluded use in iPod3,1 and iPhone2,1
- @planetbeing stepped up and provided a kernel exploit that covers both of those. Those two JBers are the bomb!
- The 5.1.1 A5 JB is very similar to the A5 5.0.1 JB. @pimskeks has done a tremendous job supporting both 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 in absinthe
- Similar to 5.0.1, there will also be a 5.1.1 CLI "cinject" binary and redsn0w version of the 5.1.1 JB+untether. Absinthe, cinject, and redsn0w will all provide the same JB in different fashions.
- timing is indeterminate. Plans are for this week, but a number of factors can influence that.
- For those wishing to donate, we've set up a new 5.1.1 paypal URL: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=4U6DQGJ2NRVUN -> Please don't pirate AppStore apps (seriously, please do not).
There is some good news and bad news with this particular jailbreak. First the bad news -- the new jailbreak tool will still not support the latest 1080p Apple TV. The good news however is pod2g believes that it should work with the new iPad; whichever version you have although testing has not been done on the iPad 3 Global version. The new jailbreak tool hasn't been tested yet on the just released iPad 2 R2 either but again it is believed to work.
Anyone else looking forward to the iOS 5.1.1 untethered jailbreak?