Rumors about Windows Mobile 7, or Seven as our sibling site WMExperts is calling it, are near-iTablet level over on that side of the smartphone space. If you read my Windows Phone (based on 6.5) review, you know I had only questions and no answers for Microsoft when it came to what they could do to become competitive in the increasingly important consumer space.
Well, Mal over at WMExperts has put together a ton of whispers, mixed it with keen insights, and unleashed a Windows Mobile 7: What we expect and what we are hearing article of epic proportions. Here are some highlights, but you need to go read the whole thing:
- Two versions, stripped-down Business and pimped-out Media.
- Business Edition will be more like current WM, skin-able by HTC Sense UI and the like, and is more complete right now.
- Media Edition (yes, ME is back, baby!) will be the closest thing possible to a ZunePhone without being a ZunePhone, with maximum Microsoft Experience, but it's not yet as far along.
- Office 2010 super-integration
- Silverlight (Microsoft's inversion of Flash), Mediaroom (Microsoft's TV center), Xbox Live (possibly gaming!), Facebook and Twitter, and Zune Music integration.
- New "Orion" platform to do GPS faster and better.
- 720p (!!) 1280-720 resolution screen on LG "Apollo" handset.
- Dieter and Phil should get the first glimpses for us at Mobile World Congress (MWC) in Barcelona next month.
Again, go read the full article and then hurry back an let us know if you think this is finally Microsoft getting Xbox 360 and ZuneHD serious with Windows Mobile/Windows Phone, and if it's enough to make them competitive -- or more than competitive -- with the iPhone in 2010.