It has been over a year since HTC debuted its first virtual reality headset, the HTC Vive. With the intention of providing high-quality experiences to the masses, the headset has emerged as a consumer favorite as of late. It's the most precise headset for tracking, has access to massive store of unique games, and HTC has worked hard to grow the platform around this hardware to offer something special to everyone.
Whether you're just starting out with the platform or been rocking a headset since launch, we've compiled the best tips and tricks to take your experience that extra bit forward. From buyer's guides, tutorials and troubleshooting, we're sure to cover your needs!
Meet the HTC Vive
While HTC has previously targeted its efforts towards phones and mobile devices, the HTC Vive is a step away from the company's well-established roots. The HTC Vive is the firm's first attempt at a virtual reality headset, which combines existing desktop VR with room-scale motion. This gives players a full-body experience, providing one-to-one tracking of the headset and two controllers. Unlike cheaper VR alternatives, the HTC Vive sits among the most premium of virtual reality experiences.
If you're new to the HTC Vive, this is where you should start! From obtaining a VR headset to warnings for potential buyers, here's what you need to know!
What you need to know about the Vive
Getting to know virtual reality
- What should you ask for when demoing VR?
- Where to buy a used VR headset
- How long in VR is too long?
- Kids can use VR, but be careful!
- Here's what you need to know about wireless VR
- Here's what you need to know about eye-tracking and the HTC Vive
- Exploring portability with room-scale VR
- VR and your privacy: how are these companies treating your data?
If you've got your hands on the HTC Vive, it's time to get it set up! While the included quick-start guide will help you jump straight into virtual reality, it manages to gloss over a few aspects of more advanced setup. From headset adjustments to base station mounting, the HTC Vive is best when tailored to you and your surroundings.
If you're looking to fine tune your HTC Vive setup for the best possible experience, look no further!
SteamVR is an extension of the Steam platform – a digital games distribution service that has emerged to be a central hub for PC gaming. With the launch of the Vive, HTC and Valve have come together to create a similar platform for virtual reality. This gives HTC Vive a consistent library and storefront, simplifying virtual reality into a more user-friendly experience. SteamVR also introduces dozens of new features for the headset, which aim to make your VR experience just that extra bit more enjoyable.
To get a closer look into what Steam VR offers, follow the links below!
There are currently hundreds of games available for the HTC Vive via the SteamVR platform. From smaller tech demos to full-fledged titles, there's an ever-growing range of titles for fans of any genre. If you're stuck when it comes to picking some interesting titles, we've brought together the best games and apps currently available for the HTC Vive!
- Five must-have games for your HTC Vive
- Best 'Standing Room Only' games for HTC Vive
- Best 'Room-Scale' games for the HTC Vive
- Best games for demoing your HTC Vive!
- Best shooters for VR
- Best horror games for VR
- Best racing games for VR
- Best RPGs for the HTC Vive
- Best strategy games for the HTC Vive
- Best multiplayer games for VR
- Best party games for the HTC Vive
- Best experiences for kids for the HTC Vive
- Best VR apps for exercise
- Best HTC Vive games for a cardio workout
- Best gamepad games for the HTC Vive
- Best Early Access VR games on Steam
- Best weird games you can play in VR
- Best VR games for teleportation
- Best VR games that don't rely on teleportation
- Best adult apps in VR
While the HTC Vive includes all the items you need to play most virtual reality titles, there's also a growing market for additional accessories. From standard game controllers to dedicated peripherals, there's a varied range of add-ons available which each add their own unique flairs to VR experiences.
Make sure to take a look at our top accessories below!
HTC Vive headset accessories
Controllers and audio
Best PCs for VR
While the HTC Vive is arguably one of the best virtual reality experiences to date, anyone who owns one will admit they're not perfect. With the headset launching earlier this year alongside the SteamVR platform, there are still a number of small hitches that users face on a daily basis.
We've brought together some of the most common issues that can affect today's HTC Vive users and the fixes to complement them!
- How to fix an undetected or unresponsive HTC Vive headset
- Here's what all of the HTC Vive's LED states mean
- How to fix audio issues with the HTC Vive
Base station issues
- How to solve tracking issues with the HTC Vive
- How to fix sync issues with the HTC Vive base stations
- How to fix startup issues with SteamVR
- Here's a breakdown of common SteamVR error codes
- How to fix error 208 with driver uninstall issue
After laying down the cash for a high-end PC and an HTC Vive, it's likely you're looking to get the most from your purchase. If you're looking for new ways to improve your virtual reality sessions, we've brought together various tips for all virtual reality users.
From portability, optimization or general care, here's what you need to try to enhance your experience!
Playing non-HTC Vive games
Caring for your headset
HTC Vive Pro, the next phase
You can buy an HTC Vive today and do quite a bit, but in the year and change HTC has been selling this headset there have been lessons to learn and opportunities to seize. It became quickly clear that a more capable headset could exist alongside the HTC Vive and offer something more for pro gamers and businesses looking to expand a VR offering.
That headset is called the HTC Vive Pro, and it will be coming out later this year. Here's what we know so far!
What would you like to know?
Considering an HTC Vive? Wanting some help with your headset? Make sure to reach out to us in the comments!