Every week at iMore we publish more breaking news, in-depth reviews, helpful how-tos, and editorial views than you can shake an apple at. While we're waiting for the week that will be to begin, here's a look back at the week that was, and at the very best iPhone, iPad, Mac, app, and accessory coverage we brought you! This week we've got Apple's Q2 2014 results, a podcast panel all about sexism in tech, the start of our iOS 8 wants, and a ton of best apps and how-tos!
Apple Q2 2014 financial results
- Apple's 7 for 1 stock split: What you need to know!: Umi breaks down why AAPL is splitting and how it will affect stake holders.
- Tim Cook's game with Wall Street: Underpromise and overdeliver: Peter wonders out loud about Apple's CEO and the dangerous game he's playing with investors.
- Apple Q2 2014: Wow, were we wrong!: Umi fesses up on how he — and the market — underestimated iPhone sales this quarter.
- Apple announces Q2 2014 earnings: 43.7 million iPhones, 16.3 million iPads, 4.1 million Macs sold
- Debug 34: Sexism in tech: Serenity Caldwell of Macworld/TechHive, Jessie Char of Pacific Helm, Georgia Dow of ZEN & TECH, and Brianna Wu of Giant Spacekat share their insights and experiences. Must listen!
- iMore show 399: Apple Q2 2014 results: Peter and I go over Apple's Q2 2014 financial results and then get into the new OS X public beta program.
- Iterate 66: Supertop on Tokens and Castro: Padraig Kennedy and Oisin Prendiville of Supertop join Marc, Seth, and me to talk about their promo code-sharing app for Mac, Tokens, and their podcast app for iOS, Castro.
- Vector 37: State of the digital comics: Jason Snell, of Macworld, PCWorld, TechHive, Greenbot, and The Incomparable joins me to talk about Apple — and other tech companies — as entertainment, Amazon's comiXology acquisition, Marvel Unlimited, and digital comics in general.
- How iOS 8 and OS X 10.10 need to fix iCloud Keychain: We need re-authentication and a better algorithm, and I hope Apple's on both.
- Five reasons to stay away from Apple's OS X beta seeding program: While it might sound tempting to get in on the latest and the greatest, what you might get instead is the buggiest. Beware!
- Why Tim Cook narrated Apple's new environmental video, Better: Tim Cook will never wear the visionary mantle of Steve Jobs but increasingly he's coming to wear the core values crown quite well.
- Why Nike would be smart to outsource their fitness hardware to Apple and the iWatch: Nike makes shows, not consumer electronics. Let both do what they do best.
- The Mac mini: the best game console in the house: Gamers took offense, but Peter tells it the way he sees it. (I'd just like a Mac mini update already!)
- Taking in your iPhone 5 for the sleep button fix but really want to upgrade to an iPhone 5s? There may be a $350 trade in for you!: Or, when opportunity knocks, get yourself a better iPhone!
- J.D. Power survey shows consumers still most satisfied with iPhone on all major U.S. carriers: Repeat after me, "CUST SAT!"
- Apple CEO Tim Cook: It's better to be the best than to be the first: Apple wasn't first to MP3 players, smartphones, or tablets. Here's why they won't be first to wearables either.
- Why is Apple TV no longer a 'hobby'? 20 million reasons!: Tim Cook tells the world why he thinks the Apple TV business might just have legs.
- Apple launches 'Powerful' new iPhone 5s ad: The "Gigantic" new ad for Apple's empowering iPhone.
- comiXology introduces new iPhone and iPad app, removes in-app purchases, following Amazon acquisition: It'll be more of a pain for people but will it mean more money for comics creators?
- What's on Georgia's iPhone right now!: She's so fired!
- Best car rental and taxi apps for iPhone: Uber, Zipcar, Taxi Magic, and more!: Ally puts together everything you need to know to drive to where you need to go.
- Best translation apps for iPhone: iTranslate Voice, iVoice, Google Translate, and more!: Newly updated, Ally tells you the best ways to turn unknown languages into understandable communications.
- Best beer and wine apps for iPhone: Untappd, Drync, Elixr, and more!: For adult beverage consumers only!
- How to easily clone your Mac using SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner: Backup is essential and Peter tells you how to get started cloning your boot drive.
- How to save disk space on your Mac by selectively syncing Dropbox folders: Dropbox is fantastic... until it eats up all the space on your SSD. Here's how to get stuff off your disk but keep it available on the web.
- How to install Windows on your Mac using Boot Camp: Whether you're working or gaming, a Mac can be the best Windows hardware in the world as well!
- How to sort and organize alerts in Notification Center for iPhone and iPad: A chaotic Notification Center defeats the purpose. Ally tells you how to make it work the way it should.
- How to set up and use Notification Center's Do Not Disturb mode: Ally also tells you how to make it shut up when you don't want to be interrupted as well.
Your most important story of the week?
That's just some of what we published last week. What do you consider the most important story? Did we list it or did we miss it? Let me know!