When Castro for iPhone first launched a couple of weeks ago, we found it to be largely impressive but there were a few bits and pieces missing that folks wanted from a podcast client. Sneaking out of the App Store just in time for Christmas is the latest update which boasts a pretty extensive changelog, with one of the better looking items being support for subscribing to a podcast from a URL. Here's what else is new:
- You can subscribe to podcast from URL copied to clipboard.
- You can manually download episodes using mobile data even if you have it turned off to automatic downloads.
- Adds larger cache size options. See Castro settings in the Settings app.
- Adds setting to disable sound effects.
- Fixes bug that could cause data loss if you tried to play an episode from the lock screen after a device restart.
- Enables pull to refresh on Episodes tab even when no episodes are showing.
- Uses search result artwork if podcast feed is missing artwork.
- Original podcast art on the lock screen.
- Fixes a layout bug when tapping into a podcast from search results.
- Fixes bug where download notifications weren't getting sent sometimes.
- Fixes bug where downloads found when on mobile data weren't getting downloaded when back on Wifi.
The URL subscription method in particular was something a lot of you wanted before being able to give Castro a try, and a hat tip to the developers for getting it added so quickly. The rest of the new stuff all adds up to make an already great app just a little bit better. It's still available for the special launch price of $2.99 right now, so if you pick it up for some festive podcast listening, let us know what you think of it.