Tumblr 4.0 lets you build new blogs inside the app, picking essential elements such as a username, blog title, images, and colors, working like an extended version of their theme customization tools. That app also adds a Notification Center widget, post submissions, and much more. You can see the full list of additions and changes below:
- Create new blogs from inside the app: Ever get an idea for a blog while you're out on the town, or up in an aeroplane? Make it, name it, give it an avatar, give it a header image, title it, describe it, post your first post to it—all before you even return to the Earth.
- Make video posts using a video's URL: Copy a URL from YouTube or Vimeo or another such site, slap it into the app, and you got yourself a video post. This is apparently your most-requested feature for the mobile app. Smart. We love it. Here you go.
- Submit to blogs that accept submissions: Situation: You're deep-sea diving with your waterproof phone, snapping pics of fish and treasure chests and the sea god Neptune. Stuff that's perfect for that submission-based SCUBA blog you follow. Now you can submit a post to it right from the briny deep.
- A widget for your widget collection: Witness today's trending tags without even opening the app. Install it thusly: 1. From anywhere in your phone, swipe down from the top of your screen to open up your "Today" view. This is where all your widgets live. 2. Flick your way to the bottom, then tap the "Edit" button. 3. Find "Trending on Tumblr" in the list. There ya go.
- Filter searches by post type: Just looking for photos? We'll just show you photos. Just looking for chats? Sure. You can do that, too.
- A heap of other niceties:
- New icon. Feels good under your finger.
- Sticky search bar. Convenient for those heavy search sessions.
- Sticky avatars. Always, always know who made the post you're currently reading. Never forget.
- Clean, fresh look for the iPad.
- GIFs load in a much more pleasing fashion. You'll see.
- You can delete blogs from the app, which sounds like something only a troublemaker would need to do, but okay.
Tumblr 4.0 is available for iPhone and iPad from the App Store now.
- Free - Download Now (opens in new tab)
Get the best of iMore in in your inbox, every day!
Joseph Keller is the former Editor in Chief of iMore. An Apple user for almost 20 years, he spends his time learning the ins and outs of iOS and macOS, always finding ways of getting the most out of his iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac.
Thank you for signing up to iMore. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.