You can get insurance for your used iPhone, but you won't find a lot of options.
Used iPhones are a much less expensive way to get the great hardware and software experience Apple has to offer. But what happens when something goes wrong with that hardware or the software experience goes bad? With a new iPhone, you have AppleCare and a few other insurance options. What options do you have for a used iPhone?
Here's the real deal on insurance coverage for used iPhones.
- Mobile phones that were insured through a service provider up to the date you purchased your SquareTrade warranty. Click here for details.
- SquareTrade Family Plans require that only one phone either be purchased in the last 30 days or be insured by a carrier until the date you purchased your SquareTrade warranty.
Certified refurbished items purchased only at select SquareTrade retail partners (listed below) and covered by a refurb SquareTrade warranty also purchased at the same retailer.
- Staples (Computers)
Used items purchased on eBay.
And here's what SquareSpace won't cover:
- Used items from retail stores with the exception of those listed above.
- Used / refurbished items from Amazon.
- Any items, regardless of condition, purchased from classified ads, classifieds like Craigslist, or any other person-to-person sales.
If your used iPhone does qualify, SquareTrade plans cover accidental damage as well as malfunctioning hardware, but do not cover damage due to loss or theft.
All plans have a deductible of $99 and cost between $4 to $6 per month
Protect Your Bubble
We don't care where you bought your phone, which carrier you have or if it's more than 30 days old. With us, you're covered.
- Covers phones up to 3 years old
- Next-day claims resolution2
- Unlimited claims
- Low $50 deductible for iPhones
Because Protect Your Bubble is an extended warranty service and not a true insurance company, it covers malfunctions and accidental damage, but not loss or theft.
The bottom line
Options for used iPhone insurance are limited. If you want the peace of mind that comes with an extended warranty, however, you do have a couple of options.
If you've insured your used iPhone, let us know how it worked for you. If you know of other options, tell us about them in the comments!