Skype for iPhone just got an update to version 5.5 that has enabled interactive notifications in iOS 8. The update allows users to take advantage of the enhanced notification actions, including declining calls, composing responses, and more — all right from the notification.
Since Skype supports video, voice, and text messaging and notifications come in lock screen and banner form and can be viewed after the fact through Notification Center, here's a run-down of what's new for Skype for iPhone notifications:
Audio and Video Calls
From the lock screen and the notification center:
- For incoming voice calls – swipe left on the notification to answer or decline.
- For incoming video calls – swipe left on the notification to answer with voice or video.
- For missed voice and video calls – swipe left on the notification to call back or send a message.
From a banner notification:
- For incoming voice calls – pull down on the notification to answer or decline.
- For incoming video calls – pull down on the notification to answer with voice or video.
- For missed calls – pull down on the notification to call back or send a message.
- From the lock screen and the notification center:
- For new messages – swipe left on the notification to reply.
- From the lock screen:
- For new messages – pull down on the notification to reply.
Nothing much else about Skype for iPhone has changed, but this update will make it even easier and faster to use. Let us know what you think!
- Free — Download Now (opens in new tab)
Derek Kessler is Special Projects Manager for Mobile Nations. He's been writing about tech since 2009, has far more phones than is considered humane, still carries a torch for Palm, and got a Tesla because it was the biggest gadget he could find. You can follow him on Twitter at @derekakessler.
Sweet! Sent from the iMore App
According to the new battery usage reader on my iPhone 6, the Skype app running in the background, eats up more battery juice than any other app that I actively used on the iPhone. I've turned the Skype app off from running in the background and I'll keep on monitoring my battery usage.
Yikes... was thinking about re-downloading the skype app but now I think i will decline.... looks like evoo it is :/
Thank you for signing up to iMore. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.