Feel like you need a fresh start with macOS Sierra? Do a clean install!
Downloading and installing a new OS gives you the opportunity to do some major house cleaning if you so desire. If you feel like you'd like a fresh start with macOS Sierra, you can always opt to do a clean install: Just follow the steps below, even if you've already installed macOS Sierra.
Make sure you understand the difference between a clean install and a standard install before you get started.
- Step 1: Back up your Mac
- Step 2: Create a bootable drive of macOS Sierra
- Step 3: Erase macOS Sierra
- Step 4: Install a new copy of macOS Sierra
Note: If you are reading this article on the Mac you want to perform the clean install with, switch to another device or print this page before continuing so you can read along as you go.
Step 1: Back up your Mac
This process will erase whichever OS you're currently using from your hard drive entirely. That means any files, programs, or documents you have will be deleted. To save your files, put them on an external hard drive or a cloud-based program like Dropbox, OneDrive, or iCloud. If you don't save these important files off your computer, you will lose them.
Step 2: Create a bootable drive of macOS Sierra
Before you erase your current operating system, download macOS Sierra from the Mac App Store. You'll need a copy of macOS Sierra to perform a clean install later on.
Step 3: Erase macOS Sierra
- Connect your Mac to the internet via Wi-Fi or Ethernet
- Click on the Apple icon ()
Select Restart from the drop-down menu.
- Hold down Command-R when you hear the startup chime and keep holding the keys until your computer reboots.
- Click on Disk Utility in the OS X Utilities selector.
- Select your Startup Disk.
Click on the Erase tab at the top of the window.
- Enter a name for the file to be destroyed (Like macOS Sierra or something).
- Select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the format list.
Step 4: Reinstall a new copy of macOS Sierra.
- Click on Reinstall a new copy of macOS.
- Click Continue again when the installer window appears.
- Agree to the software terms and conditions.
- Select your hard drive.
- Click Install.
Complete the installation process.
Any questions about performing a clean install? Let us know below in the comments.