macOS Catalina is coming soon! Are you ready to upgrade? Apple has made it easier than ever to update to the latest operating system, even if you are running an older operating system on your Mac.
Step 1: Check your compatibility
First and foremost, make sure your Mac is compatible with macOS Catalina. In general, most Macs from 2012 or newer are compatible. Here's a list of Macs that can run macOS Catalina:
- MacBook (Early 2015 or newer)
- MacBook Air (Mid 2012 or newer)
- MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 or newer)
- Mac mini (Late 2012 or newer)
- iMac (Late 2012 or newer)
- iMac Pro (2017)
- Mac Pro (Late 2013, plus mid-2010 and mid-2012 models with recommended Metal-capable GPU)
Just because your Mac supports Catalina, doesn't necessarily mean you should update, at least right away. There are a few things to consider.
Step 2: Back up your Mac!
Before downloading any major update to your Mac operating system, it is very important to back up your data. The best way to ensure a smooth transition from an older operating system to Catalina is with Time Machine. If you don't already have a backup plan in place, there are a few options you can check out.
Step 3: Download and install macOS Catalina
Apple has made it easy to download and install macOS Catalina right from your system settings.
- Click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen.
- Click on System Preferences.
- Click on Software Updates.
- Click on Update Now.
- How to install macOS Catalina over the Catalina beta seed
- Should you carry over your current Mac settings or do a clean install of macOS Catalina
- How to install a fresh copy of macOS Catalina on your Mac
- How to remove a hard drive partition on your Mac
- How to downgrade from macOS Catalina
If you run into trouble during the upgrade process, give us a shout!
We review the subtly blingy LAUT OMBRE SPARKLE Strap for Apple Watch
Bring a little bit of sparkle to your wrist, but not too much, with this colorful genuine leather Apple Watch band.
Apple is shipping single replacement AirPods with an unreleased firmware
If Apple ships you a single AirPod, things could get messy. Beware firmware version 2D3!
It's not just you, Snapchat is down right now
There are global reports of a Snapchat outage.
Enhance your gaming experience with these smart lights
Take your game playing experience to the next level by introducing colorful lights in the background. Here are our favorite smart lighting solutions that you can buy today.