Instapaper, the popular iPhone and iPad app that saves online material for offline reading, has been updated to 4.0. The interface has been complete redesigned, there is a new search subscription available for searching for the full contents of every article you've ever saved, and much more!
Great for long articles and blog posts that you find during the day and would like to read, but don't have the time when you find them. Save with Instapaper, then read later when you're commuting, in a meeting, or waiting in line.
Here's the update notes:
- Completely redesigned iPad list interface as a grid with sidebar
- Redesigned iPhone interface with a black-and-white theme
- Multi-select articles in list to archive, delete, or move in bulk
- Search Subscription: the $1/month Subscription from the Instapaper website is now available in the app via In-App Purchase. It's called Search Subscription, and it adds server-side searching of the full contents of every article you've ever saved. This replaces the old downloaded-articles-only search in the app.
- Archive and Delete now peacefully coexist everywhere
- App Directory (in Settings) lists apps that integrate with Instapaper
- Hardware brightness control in iOS 5 (brightness now also available on iPhone)
- Draggable scrollbar for quickly jumping through documents
- Article authors, published dates, and site titles are now displayed when available (availability will increase over time)
- "Friends" section can now browse all recent links posted in your Facebook news feed, Twitter timeline, and Tumblr Dashboard
- "Editors" is now fully intergrated and sourced exclusively from Give Me Something To Read
- New settings to customize number of Liked/Archive articles stored on device
- Wikipedia lookups added to newly redesigned "Define" popups
- Footnotes are converted to inline "..." buttons that display in popovers
- [iPhone] Option to hide the status bar while reading (hidden by default)
- [iPhone] Redesigned font (ᴀA) panel to be like iPad's
- [iPhone] Redesigned Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, Pinboard, Evernote share forms
- YouTube URLs now open in the system's YouTube app
- New option to use Apple's dictionary under iOS 5
- Minor improvements to the in-article styling
- Smoother tilt scrolling that works well in all orientations
- New icon
- Added Tweetbot and The Hit List to Share panel
- When updating, the entire table no longer reloads after each article downloads. It now just reloads once after the main update request, showing all (even un-downloaded) articles, and they enable themselves as they get downloaded.
Instapaper is available on the iPhone and iPad for $4.99.
Have an app you'd love to see featured on TiPb? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, tell us about your app (include an iTunes link), and we'll take a look.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Report: Apple U1 chip coming to AirPods Studio, AirTags more than tracking
Apple's rumored AirPods Studio will include the U1 ultra-wideband chip, according to an anonymous leaker. They also suggest that we will see Apple's AirTags do more than just track things.
Apple has its first Primetime Emmy with Billy Crudup and 'The Morning Show'
Apple TV+ has its first Primetime Emmy win on the board and it surely won't be the last.
FAQ: TikTok & WeChat ban — why it’s happening and what it means for you
Are TikTok and WeChat really being banned? When does all of this take effect? Will I still be able to use these apps? All this and more answered in our FAQ regarding the latest U.S. orders.
iPhone doesn't have an SD card slot, but you can use a flash drive instead!
Having a flash drive that works with your iPhone is a great little piece accessory to have in your back pocket! Here are the best options for backing up your phone.