Don't feel trapped by AT&T — unlock your iPhone and enjoy your freedom!
If you buy an iPhone from AT&T, it will be "locked" to AT&T's network. That means if you try to put in a T-Mobile SIM, it won't work. Same with an international SIM if you're traveling. Just because you're locked, though, doesn't mean you can't unlock. AT&T has a process in place for you to request a code to do just that. Of course, there are requirements and some restrictions you needed to be aware of first.
What requirements does AT&T have for unlocking?
Before requesting an unlock code from AT&T, there are some requirements you'll need to know.
- The phone must be locked to AT&T (of course).
- It can't be reported as lost or stolen (also, of course).
- It can't be associated with fraudulent or illegal activity (see where we're going here?).
- All of your iPhone's service commitments and installment plans are completed, and all early termination fees are paid in full.
- The phone is only active on your AT&T customer's account.
- If you just upgraded your iPhone, you must wait the 14-day "buyer's remorse" period before you can request to unlock your previous device.
There may also be some special circumstances for different AT&T services, like Go Phone and pre-paid customers. Be sure to check out the eligibility of your iPhone before continuing.
How do I request an unlock code from AT&T??
AT&T says it will respond to any request to unlock your phone within two business days.
- Go to att.com/deviceunlock.
- Read and agree to the eligibility requirements to unlock your device.
- Complete and submit the request form.
- You'll receive a confirmation email with your unlock request number.
- Select the link in the email within 24 hours of receipt to confirm your unlock request.
- AT&T will respond within two business days.
- AT&T sends you instructions to unlock your device if your request is approved.
Important note: Just because you go through this process does not mean you're guaranteed success. AT&T has the right to deny any request and may need you to complete additional steps before they say yes.
Have you unlocked your AT&T iPhone? Let me know how the process went for you, and if you have any tips to share!