Apps are a quick and easy gift to give that don't even require you to leave your own home. There are two main ways you can send app gifts to your friends and family, either straight from your iPhone or iPad or from iTunes on your Mac or PC. If you've got a loved one that you know has really been eyeing a particular game or app, you can quickly and easily give the gift of apps in just a few seconds!
How to gift iPhone and iPad apps from iTunes
- Launch iTunes on your Mac or PC.
- Navigate to the App Store if you aren't there already.
- Search for the app you'd like to gift and click on it.
- Click on the arrow dropdown next to the button you'd like to download or purchase the app.
- Click on gift this app.
- Fill out the information required and click Next.
- Select the theme you'd like the gift card to be and click Next.
- Make sure everything looks right and click Buy Gift.
- Enter your iTunes password when prompted to finish the transaction.
That's all there is to it! The person you sent the app gift to will receive an email instantly, or on the date you specified, with instructions on how to redeem their gift.
Note: Originally posted, December 2012. Updated, December 2014.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Apple Music, Apple Arcade, App Store and more experiencing outages
A number of Apple's services, including Apple Book, iCloud Mail, Photos, and more, are currently experiencing performance issues.
iOS 14.2 hints that EarPods won't come in the box with the iPhone 12
A copy change found in the iOS 14.2 beta suggests that Apple may be removing more than just the power adapter from the iPhone 12 box.
Twitter opens up voice tweets to more iOS users
After letting a limited group of people test voice tweets in June, Twitter is now opening the option up to more iOS users.
All the limited and special edition Nintendo Switch consoles you can buy
Don't want your Nintendo Switch to look like everyone else's? These limited edition Switch consoles will stand out in a crowd—and you can buy one today.