3D Touch is the name Apple has given to the force touch-like technology in the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus. It works through a sensor array beneath the screen that measures microscopic changes in the distance of the LED backlights as the pressure from your finger increases. Rather than just being able to tap on an icon (or the screen) for a single action, 3D Touch allows for a whole new set of actions based on how much force is applied. With 3D Touch you can:
- Access Home screen actions.
- Peek (preview) at messages or links.
- Pop (launch) into messages or links.
- Animate Live Photos.
- Switch from the keyboard to trackpad or vice versa.
- Go back to the previous app.
- Bring up the fast app switcher.
Here you'll find everything you need to know about 3D Touch, so don't go too far!