Watch OS updates are handled through the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
Apple Watch software updates are similar to iPhone software updates. Because the Apple Watch is paired to the iPhone for internet access and easy device management, however, Watch OS updates aren't done directly on the Apple Watch. Instead, they're done using the Apple Watch for iPhone app. To get started, make sure you have your iPhone ready and on Wi-Fi, and your Apple Watch is charged to 50% or more and connected to its magnetic charger.
How to update your Apple Watch using the Apple Watch for iPhone app
- Connect your iPhone to Wi-Fi and launch the Apple Watch app.
- Tap on the My Watch tab.
- Tap on General.
- Tap on Software Update.
- Tap on Download and Install.
- Enter your iPhone Passcode (if you have one).
- Tap Agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Make sure your Apple Watch is charged to at least 50% and connect it to the magnetic charger.
- Tap Install on your iPhone and/or your Apple Watch.
The Watch OS update will download and transfer to your Apple Watch and Apple Watch will reboot to apply the update. You can follow the progress on the Apple Watch screen, and once it's done, you'll be all set.