AirPlay lets you wirelessly beam whatever you're watching on your iPhone or iPad to your Apple TV, even videos in App Store apps like YouTube and Netflix. Any app that's incorporated Apple's AirPlay media button will work. All that's required are a few taps!
How to AirPlay videos from an app right to your Apple TV
- Launch the app you'd like to share content from. In my example, I'll use the YouTube app.
- Find the video you'd like to share and start playing it.
- Tap on the AirPlay icon. The position of it may differ depending on the app you're using. It should always look the same though.
- Choose your Apple TV in the popup menu.
- Wait for your content to begin streaming.
Whatever you're playing on your iPhone or iPad should now play on your Apple TV instead. To end AirPlay, just follow the same steps again and choose iPhone or iPad to transfer the video stream back to your device.
If the app you're using doesn't have an AirPlay button you can try using the universal AirPlay button in Control Center:
Some apps block AirPlay due to what they claim are licensing restrictions. If neither of the above options work you can still try AirPlay Mirroring, which isn't as good for video but sometimes works:
Do you use AirPlay often with your Apple TV from third party apps? If so, which ones do you use most often? Let me know in the comments!