What you need to know
- Apple has released a major update to the Clips app.
- Clips 3.1 introduces AR Spaces for iPhone and iPad users with a LiDAR sensor.
Clips is getting a big AR upgrade.
In a press release (opens in new tab), Apple has announced that Clips, the company's quirky and fun video creation and editing app, has been updated to support new AR Spaces. The company says that the feature is powered with LiDAR, so users will need an iPhone 12 Pro or iPad Pro model with the sensor.
The feature will allow creators to cast a number of exciting new effects that map to the room around them during their videos.
The update brings seven effects to the app: Prism, Confetti, Disco, Dance Floor, Sparkles, Stardust, and Hearts.
- Prism: Ribbons of rainbow light scan the walls, floors, and objects in a room.
- Confetti: Celebratory bursts of confetti fall and accumulate on flat surfaces.
- Disco: Shining lights reflect off the disco ball that hangs from the ceiling of the space.
- Dance Floor: Colorful tiles of light dance in patterns across the floor.
- Sparkles: Golden sparkle emoji and white glitter fill the space.
- Stardust: Magical trails of starlight encircle and follow a person in the video.
- Hearts: Floating heart balloons bubble up within the space.
Apple says that you can still add text, emojis, and all of the other content to clips created with the new AR Spaces. Better yet, the feature works in all three aspect ratios including 9:16 vertical, 16:9 horizontal, and square.
Here is the full list of features from the new update:
- Add a new dimension to your videos with AR Spaces, an augmented reality feature that uses the LiDAR Scanner to create realistic effects that map to the contours of your room*
- Choose from seven AR Spaces including ribbons of rainbow light, celebratory confetti bursts, magical stardust, a pulsing dance floor, and more
- Record a friend with AR Spaces and watch how animated effects adapt to the person in the room
- Combine AR Spaces with text labels, stickers, and emoji to add even more personality to your videos
- When using Clips on iPad and mirroring to a second display, toggle between showing just your video or the entire interface
- Select multiple projects at once to quickly delete or duplicate them
- Edit text in posters and labels while in landscape orientation on iPhone
- Receive notifications when new stickers, posters, and effects are released in Clips
- AR Spaces require iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max, or iPad Pro (2020 or later)
Clips 3.1 (opens in new tab) is available to download now in the App Store.
Joe Wituschek is a Contributor at iMore. With over ten years in the technology industry, one of them being at Apple, Joe now covers the company for the website. In addition to covering breaking news, Joe also writes editorials and reviews for a range of products. He fell in love with Apple products when he got an iPod nano for Christmas almost twenty years ago. Despite being considered a "heavy" user, he has always preferred the consumer-focused products like the MacBook Air, iPad mini, and iPhone 13 mini. He will fight to the death to keep a mini iPhone in the lineup. In his free time, Joe enjoys video games, movies, photography, running, and basically everything outdoors.
Thank you for signing up to iMore. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.