What you need to know
- Apple has released a major update to the Clips app.
- Clips 3.1 introduces AR Spaces for iPhone and iPad users with a LiDAR sensor.
Clips is getting a big AR upgrade.
In a press release, Apple has announced that Clips, the company's quirky and fun video creation and editing app, has been updated to support new AR Spaces. The company says that the feature is powered with LiDAR, so users will need an iPhone 12 Pro or iPad Pro model with the sensor.
Clips, Apple's easy-to-use video creation app for iPhone and iPad, gives users even more fun options to record captivating videos. With all-new AR Spaces powered by LiDAR on iPhone 12 Pro and iPad Pro models, creators can transform a space by adding immersive visual effects that map to the contours of a room, and can be easily shared with anyone. AR Spaces in the Clips app leverage Apple's unique combination of hardware and software, offering another inventive way for users to engage with and delight friends and family, or share playful, eye-catching videos on social media. Clips is also expanding creative options with monthly content releases containing new filters, stickers, and more. Transform a Room with New AR Spaces
The feature will allow creators to cast a number of exciting new effects that map to the room around them during their videos.
First introduced on iPad Pro last year, the state-of-the-art LiDAR Scanner on select iPhone and iPad models enables cutting-edge depth-sensing capabilities, never before possible on a mobile device. This breakthrough technology measures light distance and uses pixel depth information of a scene to deliver faster and more realistic augmented reality (AR) experiences. Combined with the tight integration of Apple's hardware and software, Clips 3.1 now enables users to record amazing videos with magical effects that map to the shape of a room and the objects within it. With AR Spaces in Clips 3.1, users can easily scan a room and see a live preview of effects that bring dynamic lighting, falling objects, and immersive scenes to life. Using the rear camera on a supported iPhone or iPad, users will see effects appear on walls, floors, surfaces, furniture, and objects.
The update brings seven effects to the app: Prism, Confetti, Disco, Dance Floor, Sparkles, Stardust, and Hearts.
- Prism: Ribbons of rainbow light scan the walls, floors, and objects in a room.
- Confetti: Celebratory bursts of confetti fall and accumulate on flat surfaces.
- Disco: Shining lights reflect off the disco ball that hangs from the ceiling of the space.
- Dance Floor: Colorful tiles of light dance in patterns across the floor.
- Sparkles: Golden sparkle emoji and white glitter fill the space.
- Stardust: Magical trails of starlight encircle and follow a person in the video.
- Hearts: Floating heart balloons bubble up within the space.
Apple says that you can still add text, emojis, and all of the other content to clips created with the new AR Spaces. Better yet, the feature works in all three aspect ratios including 9:16 vertical, 16:9 horizontal, and square.
Here is the full list of features from the new update:
- Add a new dimension to your videos with AR Spaces, an augmented reality feature that uses the LiDAR Scanner to create realistic effects that map to the contours of your room*
- Choose from seven AR Spaces including ribbons of rainbow light, celebratory confetti bursts, magical stardust, a pulsing dance floor, and more
- Record a friend with AR Spaces and watch how animated effects adapt to the person in the room
- Combine AR Spaces with text labels, stickers, and emoji to add even more personality to your videos
- When using Clips on iPad and mirroring to a second display, toggle between showing just your video or the entire interface
- Select multiple projects at once to quickly delete or duplicate them
- Edit text in posters and labels while in landscape orientation on iPhone
- Receive notifications when new stickers, posters, and effects are released in Clips
- AR Spaces require iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max, or iPad Pro (2020 or later)
Clips 3.1 is available to download now in the App Store.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.