comiXology has introduced all-new apps for iPhone and iPad in order to remove the ability to purchase new comics from within the app. Now, in order to get new comics, you have to go to comiXology's website, buy them there, and then go back to the comiXology app and download them. If this sounds similar to how the Amazon Kindle app works, it should. comiXology was recently acquired by Amazon. From the comiXology blog
We have introduced a new comiXology iPhone and iPad Comics App and are retiring the old one. iPhone and iPad users will now buy comics on comixology.com and download to the app. All your purchased books will be readable in the new app once you've downloaded it and taken the following steps:
- If you don't have a comiXology account, go to comiXology.com to create one, or create one in the original Comics app!
- In the original Comics app, log into your comiXology account.
- Sync your in-app purchases to your comiXology account by tapping the Restore button on the Purchases tab.
- Download the new comiXology app. This will be your new home downloading and reading comics.
- Start shopping on comiXology.com. New web purchases will appear in the "In Cloud" tab in our new app.
- If you have comics downloaded in the old app, no problem! You can continue to read them there without re-downloading to the new app.
It seems as though comiXology does recognize how much of a hassle this is for folks though. They're proactively offering a $5 eGift Card credit to all those who have purchased through the comiXology platform in the past.
This credit will be automatically applied throughout the day to those accounts who are eligible and all of those eligible have 30 days to purchase books with that credit. That's not too bad but still, a hassle.
No word yet on whether or not the Marvel or DC apps, which are white-labled from comiXology, will get similarly updated or if they'll be left with their IAP ability intact.
Master your iPhone in minutes
iMore offers spot-on advice and guidance from our team of experts, with decades of Apple device experience to lean on. Learn more with iMore!
Editor-at-Large at Mobile Nations, gadget junkie, energy drinker, ranter.