With the coronavirus pandemic recently declared a national emergency in the US, and countries around the world taking measures to prevent the spread of the disease, a huge number of events, tournaments, and leagues have been canceled around the world. Here's the latest list of upcoming cancellations in tech and the wider world.
- WWDC 2020 - Apple's yearly developer conference will still take place in June, but it's going to be an all-online experience.
- Apple Stores - All of Apple's retail stores will be closed until March 27 outside of Greater China.
- RUMORED: Apple's March Event - Apple hasn't announced a March event, but was highly tipped to do so. In the same vein, it's now rumored that the event will not proceed, mostly because of production delays.
- Google Cloud Next - originally pegged for April 6 -8, Cloud Next '20 will now take place as an online event, much like WWDC.
- Google I/O - Google has also canceled the physical portion of its I/O event.
- Google News Initiative Summit - Google's News Initiative summit, scheduled for late April been canceled.
- Microsoft Build - Microsoft Build, May 19 - 21 is now going ahead as a "digital experience".
- MVP Global Summit - Microsoft's MVP Global Summit will also take place online-only from March 16-19.
- NVIDIA GTC - The graphics giant's 2020 event will now go ahead as an online-only event on March 26.
- Facebook Developer Conference - F8 has been cancelled, and will instead go ahead as a series of locally-hosted events, videos and live streams.
- Adobe Summit - will now go ahead as a digitial experience on March 31.
- SXSW 2020 - Several companies including Apple withdrew from the event prior to its cancellation, the festival was due to run March 13-22.
- E3 2020 - The massive gaming expo will not proceed for the first time since 1995, and there are currently no alternative plans in place.
- EA - EA has suspended all competitive gaming live events, including Apex Legends, Fifa, and Madden tournaments.
- XFL 2020 - The remainder of the inaugural season of the XFL has been cancelled.
- NBA 2020 season - The Entire NBA season for 2020 was suspended on March 12 "until further notice" after at least one Utah Jazz player tested positive for conavirus.
- March Madness - the famed basketball tournament will not go ahead for the first time in 81 years.
- Division 1 Basketball - All men's and women's basketball tournaments have been cancelled for the reaminder of the 2020.
- Track and Field - spectatoris will not be permitted to attend Division Track and Field Championships.
- Coachella 2020 - The music festival has been postponed until October.
- The 2020 season - The beginning of the season has been delayed by two weeks, and was originally scheduled for March 26.
- NHL Season - The NHL 2020 season has been paused, and is hoping to resume play "as soon as it is appropriate".
- UK elite football - Across the pond, all elite football has been suspended in the UK, that includes the Premier League, all EFL leagues, the Women's Super League and the Women's Championship. The Premier League is currently tipped to resume on April 4, however reports state that private opinion is this will be impossible.
- UEFA Champions League - Fixtures for the week commencing March 16 have been postponed, the Europa league has also been suspended.
- La Liga - Spanish football has postponed at least the next two rounds of fixtures.
- Ligue 1 - Likewise in France, the top two divisions have been suspended.
- Bundesliga - German football has also ground to a halt.
- Serie A - With the country in lockdown, Italian football has been suspended until April 3.
- MLS - US soccer has been suspended for 30 days.
- Internationals - Fifa is also recommending that all international games for March and April be postponed and rescheduled.
- Guiness Six Nations - All Six Nations fixtures due to take place with weekend have been cancelled, as have a couple of previous games.
- The London Marathon - The race will now take place on October 4. It was originally set for April.
- The Boston Marathon - The 124th Boston Marathon will now take place September 14.
- Giro d'Italia - For obvious reasons, the Italian cycling event will not proceed.
- Vietnam Grand Prix - The April 5 race has been cancelled, and Formula E has been suspended for two months.
- NASCAR - NASCAR has postponed two races at Atlanta Motor Speedway and Homestead-Miami Speedway over the next two weeks.
- PGA - THE PLAYERS championship and all events trhough the Valero Texas Open have been cancelled.
- 2020 Masters - The 2020 Masters tournament has been postponed.
This list is pretty big, but events are being added all the time. If you know about something else that's been canceled, let us know!
Master your iPhone in minutes
iMore offers spot-on advice and guidance from our team of experts, with decades of Apple device experience to lean on. Learn more with iMore!
Stephen Warwick has written about Apple for five years at iMore and previously elsewhere. He covers all of iMore's latest breaking news regarding all of Apple's products and services, both hardware and software. Stephen has interviewed industry experts in a range of fields including finance, litigation, security, and more. He also specializes in curating and reviewing audio hardware and has experience beyond journalism in sound engineering, production, and design.
Before becoming a writer Stephen studied Ancient History at University and also worked at Apple for more than two years. Stephen is also a host on the iMore show, a weekly podcast recorded live that discusses the latest in breaking Apple news, as well as featuring fun trivia about all things Apple. Follow him on Twitter @stephenwarwick9