Meet Scrivener, your new writing companion. It's an app that will aid you from your initial idea to the final full stop of a draft, and is a neat concept that enables you to unleash your creativity without worrying exactly where they fit in your worded world. A variety of tools and features are available to enable you to outline all details or complete a rough draft for future restructuring.
Think of Scrivener as an immensely powerful word processor come writing guide. Here are a handful of highlighted features:
- Interactive tutorial project
- Keep each manuscript and supporting materials in a self-contained project
- Import Word, RTF, Final Draft and plain text files
- Easily split imported text into separate sections
- Write your manuscript in sections of any size
- View all sections as a single text using the "Draft Navigator" (iPad only)
- Quickly navigate sections using the "binder" sidebar
- Format with fonts and presets
- Comments, footnotes, links and highlights
- Simple bullets and lists
- Insert images
- Pinch-zoom to resize text
- Full-screen mode (iPad only)
- Typewriter scrolling mode keeps typed text center-screen (iPad only)
- Write a screenplay using scriptwriting mode
- Live word and character counts
- Set word and character count targets
- Find and replace
- Customizable keyboard row provides quick-access buttons for formatting, navigation and punctuation
- Comprehensive keyboard shortcuts for external keyboard users
Find Your Structure
- Write in any order and reorganize later
- Write a synopsis for any text section and see it in the outline
- Expand, collapse and drill down into sections of your project
- Rearrange sections as index cards on the corkboard (iPad only)
- Project-wide search
- Track ideas using labels and status
- Apply custom icons to your sections
Refer to Research
- Import research material such as image, PDF and media flies
- View research files or other sections right alongside your writing (iPad only)
- Every section has its own notes area for jotting down ideas
- Supports multi-tasking split screen mode (supported devices only)
Share Your Work
- Compile to a single document for sharing or printing
- Use different formatting in your exported or printed document
- Export to Word, RTF, Final Draft, PDF or plain text
- Convert rich text to Markdown for sharing with Markdown apps
- Create and email zipped backups of your projects
- Use Dropbox to sync between devices and with the macOS and Windows versions of Scrivener*
- Copy projects between devices via iTunes
Should you wish to try something out that's a little bit more functional and tailored to creative writing than say Word, be sure to give Scrivener a try. Do note the pricey listing, but it's certainly worth the investment.
- $19.99 - Download Now (opens in new tab)
A a long time user of the desktop version I can't wait to finally give them my money for the iOS version. It's a great app and a great company.
I'm sure this will be an amazing app on iOS. I'd like to see an experienced Scrivener user do a full review of the product after having used it for a while. That would really be a good read. Hope you have that someone here at iMore. :-)
As someone who uses it for academic writing, and has done one thesis in it (and starting another), I will happily commit on how it works...I am using to on my Air and my iPad pro.
Hate to be that guy who wants an update as soon as it comes out of the gate but I really do hope iCloud Drive sync becomes available. Don't have Dropbox. Don't want it.
Agree. I was holding off on Ulysses for this, but the lack of iCloud is a showstopper. I just went through a conprehensive deletion of accounts I no longer want or use. Google, Microsoft, and Dropbox cloud services are things I no longer use. They should have the option for OneDrive and iClous for Windows and Mac/iOS users. Buying Ulysses.
Thank you for signing up to iMore. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.