Meet Scrivener, your new writing companion. It's an app that will aid you from your initial idea to the final full stop of a draft, and is a neat concept that enables you to unleash your creativity without worrying exactly where they fit in your worded world. A variety of tools and features are available to enable you to outline all details or complete a rough draft for future restructuring.
Think of Scrivener as an immensely powerful word processor come writing guide. Here are a handful of highlighted features:
- Interactive tutorial project
- Keep each manuscript and supporting materials in a self-contained project
- Import Word, RTF, Final Draft and plain text files
- Easily split imported text into separate sections
- Write your manuscript in sections of any size
- View all sections as a single text using the "Draft Navigator" (iPad only)
- Quickly navigate sections using the "binder" sidebar
- Format with fonts and presets
- Comments, footnotes, links and highlights
- Simple bullets and lists
- Insert images
- Pinch-zoom to resize text
- Full-screen mode (iPad only)
- Typewriter scrolling mode keeps typed text center-screen (iPad only)
- Write a screenplay using scriptwriting mode
- Live word and character counts
- Set word and character count targets
- Find and replace
- Customizable keyboard row provides quick-access buttons for formatting, navigation and punctuation
- Comprehensive keyboard shortcuts for external keyboard users
Find Your Structure
- Write in any order and reorganize later
- Write a synopsis for any text section and see it in the outline
- Expand, collapse and drill down into sections of your project
- Rearrange sections as index cards on the corkboard (iPad only)
- Project-wide search
- Track ideas using labels and status
- Apply custom icons to your sections
Refer to Research
- Import research material such as image, PDF and media flies
- View research files or other sections right alongside your writing (iPad only)
- Every section has its own notes area for jotting down ideas
- Supports multi-tasking split screen mode (supported devices only)
Share Your Work
- Compile to a single document for sharing or printing
- Use different formatting in your exported or printed document
- Export to Word, RTF, Final Draft, PDF or plain text
- Convert rich text to Markdown for sharing with Markdown apps
- Create and email zipped backups of your projects
- Use Dropbox to sync between devices and with the macOS and Windows versions of Scrivener*
- Copy projects between devices via iTunes
Should you wish to try something out that's a little bit more functional and tailored to creative writing than say Word, be sure to give Scrivener a try. Do note the pricey listing, but it's certainly worth the investment.
- $19.99 - Download Now
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
New EU regulations target App Store, empowering developers
The EU has introduced new regulations and measures to help protect developers and publishers who deal with storefronts like the App Store.
This timelapse of macOS 10.0 through 10.15 is a nostalgic wonder
The very first version of macOS, or Mac OS X as it was known, arrived almost 20 years ago. This video takes us through every major update the Mac has seen since in one amazing timelapse.
Apple's $500 million batterygate settlement now live, here's how to claim
Eligible users can now apply to receive a cash payment from Apple as part of the $500 million settlement for its part in the iPhone slowdown controversy, 'batterygate'.
Train insane with the best fitness trackers for triathletes
These fitness trackers are the cream of the crop when it comes to health and fitness tracking for triathlon training. Which tracker will you need? Here's what our research shows.