Apple extends 13-inch MacBook Pro Display Backlight Service Program
What you need to know
- Apple has extended its 13-inch MacBook Pro Display Backlight Service Program.
- Coverage has been extended to five years after the purchase date.
As reported by MacRumors, Apple has extended its 13-inch MacBook Pro Display Backlight Service Program for affected MacBooks. The program offers free display repair or replacement for two 13-inch MacBook Pro models sold between 2016 and 2018:
Apple has determined that a very small percentage of 13-inch MacBook Pro displays may exhibit one or more of the following behaviors:
- Display backlight continuously or intermittently shows vertical bright areas along the entire bottom of the screen
- Display backlight stops working completely
Affected devices were sold between October 2016 and February 2018. Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider will service affected MacBook Pro units, free of charge.
The two 13-inch MacBook Pro models that experienced the issue and are eligible for the program are below:
- MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
- MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
Customers who have the issue can get free repair or replacement by doing the following:
- Find an Apple Authorized Service Provider.
- Make an appointment at an Apple Retail Store.
- Contact Apple Support to arrange mail-in service via the Apple Repair Center.
According to the outlet, Apple had originally only offered coverage of the issue for four years after the original purchase date. However, with the new extension, customers are now covered up to five years after the purchase date or three years after the start date of the program.
Get more iMore in your inbox!
Our news, reviews, opinions, and easy to follow guides can turn any iPhone owner into an Apple aficionado
Joe Wituschek is a Contributor at iMore. With over ten years in the technology industry, one of them being at Apple, Joe now covers the company for the website. In addition to covering breaking news, Joe also writes editorials and reviews for a range of products. He fell in love with Apple products when he got an iPod nano for Christmas almost twenty years ago. Despite being considered a "heavy" user, he has always preferred the consumer-focused products like the MacBook Air, iPad mini, and iPhone 13 mini. He will fight to the death to keep a mini iPhone in the lineup. In his free time, Joe enjoys video games, movies, photography, running, and basically everything outdoors.