The Maps app for iPhone and iPad have receive a terrific update in iOS 13 and iPadOS 13. The biggest new features include the ability to keep track of favorite locations and introduction of Collections, which you can use to build lists of local must-see spots and spaces.
How to create favorite locations on the iPhone and iPad
Favorites in the Maps app are located near the top of the screen. It includes your Home and Work location, when applicable. Under each Favorite, you see the amount of time it will take to get to the place from your current location.
To add a location:
- Tap on the Maps app on the Home screen.
- Under Favorites, scroll to the right, then tap the + icon.
Type in your location in the search box under Add Favorite. You can type in a name or address. On the same page, you can also tap the Siri icon to use search with your voice. You can also select a location by tapping the **+* for a place under Siri Suggestions.
- Tap the + to add the location.
- On the Details page, change the title of the location -- if you want.
- select the type of location.
Change the title of the location -- if you want.
- Tap Add Person under Share ETA if you want to share your location with someone whenever you're traveling to your favorite location.
- Select Done at the top right-hand side of the screen to save your Favorite.
To delete Favorites:
- In the Maps app, tap See All next to Favorites.
- Choose the information icon to the right of the location you want to delete.
Tap the Remove Favorite at the bottom.
How to create Collections in the new Maps app
Imagine that you're planning a trip to London and want to identify and save areas of the city that you want to visit. By grouping everything in one location, you have a better idea where the hot spots are before you even arrive at your destination.
To create a Collection:
- Tap on the Maps app on the Home screen.
- Select See All to the right of Collections.
Choose + at the bottom right.
- Type a name for your new Collection.
To add locations to a Collection:
- Tap the newly created Collection.
- Select Add a Place.
- Search for your location to add by typing it into the search box.
- Tap the + next to the location you want to add.
- Repeat Steps 3 and 4 to add more locations to your Collection.
Tap Done at the top right when you are done adding locations.
Explore your Collection locations:
- Under your Collection, tap on a location to learn more.
- Tap Flyover, when applicable to take a closer look at the area.
- Tap Directions to find out how to get to the location.
- On the main location screen, you'll find information pulled from Wikipedia and TripAdvisor, depending on the popularity of the location.
- From this screen, you can also tap Add to Favorites to add the location to your must-see list.
- Or Create New Contact based on the location.
- Or Add to Existing Contact.
- Or Report an Issue if there is a problem with the location listing.
- Near the top of the location screen, you can also tap Add to to include the location in another Collection.
Tap Share to send the location information to others through Messages or Mail, or to other apps on your device.
To remove locations from your Collection:
- Tap Edit at the bottom left on a Collections page in Maps.
- Tap the circle to the left of the location you want to delete.
Tap Delete to remove the location from your Collection.
If you have any questions about using Maps Favorites or Collections on iPhone or iPad, let us know in the comments.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
You can now grab the Surface Duo SDK on macOS
Developers on macOS can now try out and work with the Surface Duo SDK. Just a week after the preview SDK became available on Windows, Microsoft shipped it out to macOS.
Neil Young: MacBook Pro is 'a piece of crap' with 'Fisher-Price' audio
Musician Neil Young has described the 16-Inch MacBook Pro as "a piece of crap" with "Fisher-Price" quality audio in an interview with The Vergecast.
Curve finally gets Apple Pay support!
Curve has just announced that its users will finally be able to use Apple Pay!
Turn that old iPad into the ultimate home hub with these wall mounts
If you haven't already considered adding an iPad wall mount inside your home you're missing out on a convenient hands-free solution for a number of different activities. Take a look at these amazing wall mounts!