iOS 14.5 adds unlock iPhone with Apple Watch, AirTag support, and more
What you need to know
- iOS 14.5 has been released.
- The update brings a ton of new features across the iPhone.
iOS 14.5 is finally here and it has brought with it a ton of new features.
Today, Apple released (opens in new tab) iOS 14.5, and with it came a host of new features for iPhone users. The new update includes the ability to unlock iPhone with Apple Watch while wearing a face mask, more diverse Siri voices, new privacy controls, skin tone options to better represent couples in emoji, and more.
The biggest feature is the ability to unlock your iPhone with Face ID while wearing a mask as long as you have an Apple Watch Series 3 or later.
Siri has also received some notable updates including more diverse voices and the ability to announce and answer incoming calls when wearing AirPods or Beats headphones.
iOS 14.5 has also launched App Tracking Transparency, Apple's new privacy feature that requires apps to ask permission to track you.
The new update also brings new skin tones to the couple kissing emoji, couple with heart emoji, and more.
Apple Maps has also received an update that now lets users report an accident, hazard, or speed check while driving with Siri.
There are some additional updates across iOS below:
- Apple Podcasts gets redesigned show pages to make it easier to start listening, as well as an option to save and download episodes so they are automatically added to Library for quick access. Top Charts, categories, and curated collections on the Search tab help listeners discover new shows.
- AirTag support allows users to keep track of and find important items, such as keys, a wallet, backpack, or more, privately and securely in the Find My app.
- Apple News features a redesigned News+ tab, making it easier for subscribers to quickly find, download, and manage magazine and newspaper issues, and an all-new Search experience helps all Apple News users find relevant topics, channels, and stories.2
- Apple Fitness+ users can now stream audio and video to AirPlay 2-enabled TVs and devices.
- Reminders adds the ability to sort by title, priority, due date, or creation date, and offers the option to print reminder lists.
- 5G improvements for iPhone 12 models include Dual SIM support for 5G connectivity and Smart Data Mode enhancements to further optimize the experience on the network, including better battery life and data usage.
- Voice Control for Accessibility gives users comprehensive navigation with just their voice, and is now expanding English support to Australia and Canada and adding support for Spanish in Mexico, Spain, and the United States.
iOS 14.5 is available now for download. The iPadOS 14.5 update features most of the new updates listed above.
Get the best of iMore in your inbox, every day!
Joe Wituschek is a Contributor at iMore. With over ten years in the technology industry, one of them being at Apple, Joe now covers the company for the website. In addition to covering breaking news, Joe also writes editorials and reviews for a range of products. He fell in love with Apple products when he got an iPod nano for Christmas almost twenty years ago. Despite being considered a "heavy" user, he has always preferred the consumer-focused products like the MacBook Air, iPad mini, and iPhone 13 mini. He will fight to the death to keep a mini iPhone in the lineup. In his free time, Joe enjoys video games, movies, photography, running, and basically everything outdoors.