If you're currently running iOS 5 beta 5 but just can't live without your jailbreak, the Dev Team has already released RedSn0w beta 5. The only catch is, it's tethered, just like the previous beta versions of RedSn0w for iOS 5.
Be advices that not all jailbreak apps and tweaks have been updated to support iOS 5. If you're alright with running tethered and don't mind a few bugs here and there, follow along for a quick walkthrough.
By this point, almost anyone jailbreaking is already familiar with RedSn0w and how it works. It's no different this time.
- iPod touch 3G
- iPod touch 4G
- iPad 1
- iPhone4 (GSM)
- iPhone4 (CDMA)
And I can't say this enough times, if your device is not listed above, please do not attempt to jailbreak it on iOS 5!
What you need
After you have iOS 5 beta 5 installed on your device and your version of iTunes upgraded to 10.5 beta 5, follow the steps below to jailbreak.
- First launch RedSn0w.
- It should ask you to navigate to a firmware file. Simply navigate to the iOS 5 beta 5 firmware file instead of beta 2.
- Once you click next, RedSn0w will take a minute to do it’s thing. You should see a patching kernel message and that Redsn0w successfully recognized your firmware.
- Next select the options you’d like RedSn0w to perform. I typically only select Install Cydia. It’s worth noting that this is where you will perform a tethered boot if needed as well. You will just select Just boot tethered for now if you need to do this or your device reboots or dies.
- Redsn0w will now walk you through putting your device into DFU mode
- After you’re successfully in DFU mode, simply let Redsn0w do its thing and you’re done!
That's it! The process is pretty much the same as the first time around. But if you do run into problems or have questions, make sure you check out our TiPb Jailbreak Forums. We've got tons of great members more than ready and willing to help!
Tips of the day will range from beginner-level 101 to advanced-level ninjary. If you already know this tip, keep the link handy as a quick way to help a friend. If you have a tip of your own you'd like to suggest, add them to the comments or send them in to firstname.lastname@example.org. (If it's especially awesome and previously unknown to us, we'll even give ya a reward...)
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
TikTok is being banned in the U.S. from Sunday, September 20
The U.S. Department of Commerce will ban TikTok and WeChat from U.S app stores from Sunday.
Apple's RomaEst store in Italy to close permanently, October 17
Apple's RomaEst store will close October 17, paving the way for Apple's stunning new Apple store on the Via Del Corso.
Fortnite: Save the World no longer playable on Mac from September 23
Epic Games has said support for its tower defence game, Fortnite: Save the World, will end on Mac next week following Epic Games fallout and lawsuit against Apple.
For the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, matte is where it's at
With a reputation for reducing eye strain and as a natural light diffuser, matte screen protectors are a great choice to fully protect your iPad while not compromising on the look and feel of your device.