What you need to know
- WhatsApp has a new update for its app, web, and desktop experience.
- The update brings new animated sticker packs and QR code scanning for contact sharing.
- It also brings Dark Mode to the web and the Mac app.
Today, WhatsApp announced in a blog post that it was releasing a handful of new features across its product line to make communicating easier and more fun.
One of the highlights from the release includes new animated sticker packs, something that WhatsApp says is becoming extremely popular on the platform. They also are launching the ability to scan a QR code in order to add a contact, rather than having to enter someone's number. Dark Mode is also rolling out to its web and desktop app.
Today, we are excited to confirm some new features that are rolling out over the next few weeks:
- Animated Stickers: Stickers are one of the fastest growing ways people communicate on WhatsApp, with billions sent every day. We are rolling out new animated sticker packs that are even more fun and expressive.
- QR codes: We are making it easier than ever to add a new contact. Soon when you meet someone new, you will be able to scan their QR code to add them to your contacts. No more tapping in their digits one at a time.
- Dark mode for WhatsApp web and desktop: The incredibly popular Dark Mode theme now extends to your computer.
- Improvements to group video calls: With now up to 8 people on a video call, we've made it easier to focus on whoever you want by letting you press and hold to maximize a participant's video to full screen. We also added a video icon in group chats of 8 or less, so you can easily start a group video call with 1-tap.
- Status comes to KaiOS: KaiOS users can now enjoy the popular feature that lets you share updates that disappear after 24 hours.
You can watch a video about the new features below:
Master your iPhone in minutes
iMore offers spot-on advice and guidance from our team of experts, with decades of Apple device experience to lean on. Learn more with iMore!
Joe Wituschek is a Contributor at iMore. With over ten years in the technology industry, one of them being at Apple, Joe now covers the company for the website. In addition to covering breaking news, Joe also writes editorials and reviews for a range of products. He fell in love with Apple products when he got an iPod nano for Christmas almost twenty years ago. Despite being considered a "heavy" user, he has always preferred the consumer-focused products like the MacBook Air, iPad mini, and iPhone 13 mini. He will fight to the death to keep a mini iPhone in the lineup. In his free time, Joe enjoys video games, movies, photography, running, and basically everything outdoors.