Byword, a popular writing app for iPhone, iPad, and Mac, has been updated to version 2 and is more enjoyable than ever. Some of the new features include automatic downloads, full-feature offline support, better integration with other apps, and a premium option that lets you publish to WordPress, Tumblr, Blogger, Scriptogram, and Evernote.
Byword offers a beautiful, distraction-free environment that lets you focus on your writing. It supports markdown by displaying formatting changes while you type as well as the ability to preview the final product and even export to PDF and HTML documents. In Byword 2, the Markdown preview has been updated to keep scroll position so that you can quickly see how the specific area you're working on will look fully formatted.
Dropbox support in Byword has also improved, and now you can rename, duplicate, and delete documents even while offline. All documents will also automatically download when connected to WiFi.
One of my favorite new improvements is that when on the Mac, Byword will now default to iCloud as the save location. This was the only thing keeping me away from Byword in the past, so I'm quite pleased with the idea of this feature. Unfortunately, iCloud sync isn't working very well. Nothing created on my Mac or iPad is showing up on my iPhone.
The biggest addition to Byword 2 is the new premium upgrade that allows you to publish to WordPress, Tumbler, Blogger, Scriptogram, and Evernote. You simply add a title, tags, categories, and custom URL and fields if you so desire, and hit publish! The upgrade is $4.99. Unfortunately, the upgrade is a separate purchase for each version.
- All documents are now downloaded automatically when connected to WiFi for offline availability
- Full featured offline support in Dropbox including rename, duplicate and delete documents
- Move and duplicate documents between folders on iCloud, Dropbox and device storage
- Improved conflict resolution with visual inspection of each conflicting version
- Better integration with other apps via Open in…
- Keep scroll position on Markdown preview
- New font options and adjustable font size
- iCloud sync in unreliable
The bottom line
If you do any sort of writing, Byword is sure to be a fantastic tool that'll help you focus on your work. And since it syncs seamlessly between iPhone, iPad, and Mac with Dropbox or iCloud, you can have your work with you at all times, ensuring you don't forget that brilliant idea when you were standing in line at the grocery store.