What you need to know
- Apple says it is going to fix a problem using scanners on Mac.
- It notes some people have been getting messages saying they don't have permission to use their device.
Apple says it plans to fix an issue with users who don't have permission to use their scanner on Mac.
A new support document spotted by MacRumors is titled "You do not have permission to open the application' when using a scanner on Mac" and notes some users might be getting an error when trying to use a scanner in Image Capture, Preview, or Printer & Scanners preferences:
Apple says that whilst an update to resolve the issue is coming, there are some steps you can follow in the meantime. From the doc:
- Quit any apps that are open.
- From the menu bar in the Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder.
- Type /Library/Image Capture/Devices, then press Return.
- In the window that opens, double-click the app named in the error message. It's the name of your scanner driver. Nothing should happen when you open it.
- Close the window and open the app you were using to scan. A new scan should proceed normally. If you later choose to scan from a different app and get the same error, repeat these steps.
Apple didn't give a timeframe for the fix.
Master your iPhone in minutes
iMore offers spot-on advice and guidance from our team of experts, with decades of Apple device experience to lean on. Learn more with iMore!
Stephen Warwick has written about Apple for five years at iMore and previously elsewhere. He covers all of iMore's latest breaking news regarding all of Apple's products and services, both hardware and software. Stephen has interviewed industry experts in a range of fields including finance, litigation, security, and more. He also specializes in curating and reviewing audio hardware and has experience beyond journalism in sound engineering, production, and design.
Before becoming a writer Stephen studied Ancient History at University and also worked at Apple for more than two years. Stephen is also a host on the iMore show, a weekly podcast recorded live that discusses the latest in breaking Apple news, as well as featuring fun trivia about all things Apple. Follow him on Twitter @stephenwarwick9