What you need to know
- Barter lets developers put their App Store sales right on their Home screen.
Barter is the kind of app that 95% of people don't need, but the remaining 5% really needs it. Put simply, Barter puts developers' App Store sales numbers on their Home screen via iOS 14 widgets.
Barter probably wouldn't have crossed my radar at all if it wasn't for the fact it's made by Aaron Pearce, the guy that also makes the excellent HomePass (opens in new tab) and HomeCam (opens in new tab) apps. But I'm glad it did because that means I can make sure as many developers as possible get to use it. And use it, they should!
Introducing Barter, the best way to view your App Sales in a widget.https://t.co/SXh4G5Jeyf pic.twitter.com/iFqX0HEJSHIntroducing Barter, the best way to view your App Sales in a widget.https://t.co/SXh4G5Jeyf pic.twitter.com/iFqX0HEJSH— Aaron Pearce (@aaron_pearce) December 7, 2020December 7, 2020
I've heard from developers time and again that seeing how much money their work is bringing in isn't as easy as it could be and Barter fixes that by putting it on your Home screen. If your app is doing well, you'll get a little smile every time you use your phone. If it isn't, well, maybe you could use it as motivation!
You can download Barter for iPhone and iPad from the App Store now. It's a one-off $4.99 purchase (opens in new tab) across both devices.
Get the best of iMore in in your inbox, every day!
Oliver Haslam has written about Apple and the wider technology business for more than a decade with bylines on How-To Geek, PC Mag, iDownloadBlog, and many more. He has also been published in print for Macworld, including cover stories. At iMore, Oliver is involved in daily news coverage and, not being short of opinions, has been known to 'explain' those thoughts in more detail, too.
Having grown up using PCs and spending far too much money on graphics card and flashy RAM, Oliver switched to the Mac with a G5 iMac and hasn't looked back. Since then he's seen the growth of the smartphone world, backed by iPhone, and new product categories come and go. Current expertise includes iOS, macOS, streaming services, and pretty much anything that has a battery or plugs into a wall. Oliver also covers mobile gaming for iMore, with Apple Arcade a particular focus. He's been gaming since the Atari 2600 days and still struggles to comprehend the fact he can play console quality titles on his pocket computer.
Thank you for signing up to iMore. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.