What you need to know
- Etsy has released a major update to its iOS app.
- The update brings AR support for prints, photography, and portraits.
- Users can try out the new feature today.
Etsy has always been a great place to find unique pieces of art, photography, and all kinds of handmade items for your home. Today, the company has announced that it is taking its in-app experience to the next level with AR support for certain categories.
The company announced support for the feature in a blog post (opens in new tab) that said support for augmented reality will start with prints, photography, and portraits. Users will now be able to see what a product may look like in their home before making a purchase.
After updating to the latest version of the app for iPhone or iPad, users can use augmented reality by following the steps that Etsy has outlined below:
- Open your Etsy iOS app and select an item categorized as Paintings, Photography, or Prints.
- Tap the augmented reality icon on the top right corner of the item image.
- Move your iPhone or iPad camera around your space for the AR feature to work, and tap to place the item on your desired spot.
- Voila! The item will appear on your screen — move it around to see how it'll look in different parts of your space. If available, test different sizes by zooming on the item.
Etsy says that, although it is only implementing augmented reality support for three categories so far, it plans to collect feedback to understand where it should expand support for the feature next.
You can download Etsy from the App Store (opens in new tab) for free.
Joe Wituschek is a Contributor at iMore. With over ten years in the technology industry, one of them being at Apple, Joe now covers the company for the website. In addition to covering breaking news, Joe also writes editorials and reviews for a range of products. He fell in love with Apple products when he got an iPod nano for Christmas almost twenty years ago. Despite being considered a "heavy" user, he has always preferred the consumer-focused products like the MacBook Air, iPad mini, and iPhone 13 mini. He will fight to the death to keep a mini iPhone in the lineup. In his free time, Joe enjoys video games, movies, photography, running, and basically everything outdoors.
Get the best of iMore in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to iMore. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.