What you need to know
- Popular movie and TV show tracker FilmNoir has been updated with a new layout and more.
- A new "known for" feature displays all crew credits for individual people.
- The app has been reworked under the hood to get ready for a future iPad app.
Popular movie and TV show tracker FilmNoir has been updated with a new layout and more. The app has also been reworked under the hood to get it ready for an iPad version that is currently in the works.
While the idea of FilmNoir getting an iPad version is pretty sweet, let's concentrate on what we have in front of us right now. That includes a newly redesigned interface that puts "more information, quick actions, and TV show watch progress" at your fingertips. A new featured crew section has been added to both movie and TV show details, while a "known for" section displays credits "for all crew departments" for the first time.
The full list of additions in this new FilmNoir 1.3 release includes:
- Added a new list cell layout that can be used when tapping the "See All" button.
- The new list cell has more detailed information, supports quick actions for adding an item to history/watchlist and displays a watched progress bar for shows/seasons.
- Switched to TMDb for Cast & Crew information.
- Added featured crew section in film and show details.
- Added full list of crew departments.
- Added "Known for" section in person details view and credits for all crew departments.
- Added expandable sections in films watchlist.
- Added top comments/reviews in detail pages. Expanding the section will display the latest comments/reviews.
- Added back Films and TV Shows in search results.
All of that is in addition to a ton of improvements and bug fixes that help make FilmNoir one of the best iPhone apps for tracking TV shows and movies. I can't wait to be able to test it out on an iPad in the future, too.
FilmNoir 1.3 is a free update for existing users and everyone else can grab it from the App Store now.
Master your iPhone in minutes
iMore offers spot-on advice and guidance from our team of experts, with decades of Apple device experience to lean on. Learn more with iMore!
Oliver Haslam has written about Apple and the wider technology business for more than a decade with bylines on How-To Geek, PC Mag, iDownloadBlog, and many more. He has also been published in print for Macworld, including cover stories. At iMore, Oliver is involved in daily news coverage and, not being short of opinions, has been known to 'explain' those thoughts in more detail, too.
Having grown up using PCs and spending far too much money on graphics card and flashy RAM, Oliver switched to the Mac with a G5 iMac and hasn't looked back. Since then he's seen the growth of the smartphone world, backed by iPhone, and new product categories come and go. Current expertise includes iOS, macOS, streaming services, and pretty much anything that has a battery or plugs into a wall. Oliver also covers mobile gaming for iMore, with Apple Arcade a particular focus. He's been gaming since the Atari 2600 days and still struggles to comprehend the fact he can play console quality titles on his pocket computer.