LumaFusion 3.0 brings major new features to the popular iPad video editor
What you need to know
- LumaTouch has released LumaFusion 3.0.
- The new update adds a ton of new features to the popular video editor for iPad and iPhone.
LumaFusion (opens in new tab), the popular video editor that brings Final Cut Pro-like features to the iPad, has released a major update to its app.
LumaFusion 3.0 adds enhancements to video stabilization, the ability to edit footage directly from an external drive, a new graphic audio equalizer, and support for third-party audio units. You can check out all of the new features below:
- Video stabilization. The award-winning Lock & Load video stabilization technology from CoreMelt is fully integrated in the new Stabilizer tool in the clip editor.
- External drive editing. Media is now accessed directly from external drives in the Files library source on iPads with USB-C and Thunderbolt ports. You can now edit on the timeline without copying media to device storage. This feature is turned ON by default but can be turned off in Preferences, allowing media to be copied into LumaFusion when external drives are used.
- Direct external drive export. Export directly to an external drive without LumaFusion writing to internal storage using the Files destination. Available on USB-C and Thunderbolt iPads.
- Graphic Equalizer. With the beautiful new graphic audio EQ, it's easy to tune audio in your projects
- 3rd-party audio units. Add and organize 3rd party audio units in the Audio Tool. LumaFusion supports editing parameters both in our control stack and in 3rd-party custom UI.
- Numeric keypad for sliders and rotation controls. Tap on the pencil button to use the new numeric entry for accurate animation. The nudge buttons have been moved to the numeric keypad.
- Resizable UI. Drag the handle to adjust the preview, library, and timeline to get exactly the workspace you want in each layout.
The company has announced a number of improvements to the app as well, including a better user interface and quicker integration with Storyblocks:
- Press-and-hold on insert button (or use keyboard equivalents) to insert-to-main, overwrite-to-main, and place-on-secondary.
- Selection in library and timeline are now separate. Library selection shows selected items with white border, currently previewed item with yellow border.
- Improved user interface styling.
- Quicker response when searching Storyblocks.
- Import/export sources have been simplified. Use 'iOS Share and Airdrop' for most iOS destinations (Files app, iCloud Drive, other app, AirDrop). Use the Files destination to write directly to external drives.
- FCPXML export adds markers to indicate unsupported features.
- Improved stability and performance
LumaFusion 3.0 (opens in new tab) is available now as a free upgrade to existing users. If you'd like to purchase it, the software is currently $30 on the App Store.
Get the best of iMore in your inbox, every day!
Joe Wituschek is a Contributor at iMore. With over ten years in the technology industry, one of them being at Apple, Joe now covers the company for the website. In addition to covering breaking news, Joe also writes editorials and reviews for a range of products. He fell in love with Apple products when he got an iPod nano for Christmas almost twenty years ago. Despite being considered a "heavy" user, he has always preferred the consumer-focused products like the MacBook Air, iPad mini, and iPhone 13 mini. He will fight to the death to keep a mini iPhone in the lineup. In his free time, Joe enjoys video games, movies, photography, running, and basically everything outdoors.