What you need to know
- Microsoft is now testing Split View support for iPadOS.
- Specifically, for Word and PowerPoint.
- You'll need to be on the Office Insider program to get access.
Microsoft has announced in a blog that it has begun testing the use of multiple documents in split-screen on iPadOS.
In a blog post yesterday:
Hi Office Insiders! I'm Sammy Chiu from the Office team. I'm excited to share that you can now open multiple documents in Word and PowerPoint on iOS.
Apple announced the new feature as part of iPadOS 13 last year, which allows you to open split-screen windows of the same application on your iPad. At the keynote, Craig Federighi quipped:
Two Microsoft Word documents side-by-side, I mean that's enterprising right there!
The new feature will let Microsoft Word and PowerPoint users (who are on the Insider program) to take advantage of this, using the apps to see and work on two documents or presentations side-by-side.
You can access this feature a few ways:
- Touch, hold, and drag a file from the Recent, Shared, and Open file list in the app to the iPad screen edge to open it side-by-side.
- In Word or PowerPoint, swipe up from the bottom of the screen and open the dock. Then touch and hold the same app's icon and drag it off the dock to the left or right edge of the screen. Then tap the document to open it.
- In Word or PowerPoint, access the Recent, Shared, and Open views in the app start screen, tap the "…" menu for a file in the list, then tap Open in New Window.
The only requirement from an Apple standpoint is an iPad running iOS 13.
A recent YouTube video from Fjordstrøm Travel & Tech has revealed the feature running in practice, check it out!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
FAQ: TikTok & WeChat ban — why it’s happening and what it means for you
Are TikTok and WeChat really being banned? When does all of this take effect? Will I still be able to use these apps? All this and more answered in our FAQ regarding the latest U.S. orders.
WeChat ban has been blocked by U.S. District Court
The Trump administration's ban on WeChat was set to go into effect today, but a U.S. district court judge just blocked it.
Plan your day with Hour Blocks and its amazing iOS 14 Home screen widgets
Planning your day is no fun but sometimes you find an app that goes some way to making it less boring. Hour Blocks does a decent job and it looks lovely, too.
Pick the best Eufy RoboVac for you with our handy guide
Eufy makes some pretty compelling robotic vacuums and there are a lot to choose from. With a vast difference between the lower end, more affordable models and the smarter, connected, high end options, there are many factors to consider when deciding which model would be best for your household. We have compared the best of Eufy's RoboVac range here so you can find the right one for you.