Plex for iPhone and iPad gets a major overhaul
Plex, which lets you play movies and TV shows, listen to music, and more across a diverse array of formats and sources, has given its iPhone and iPad app a major overhaul in version 4.0. Both the interface and the foundation of the app have been redesigned.
You can now download Plex for iPhone and iPad for free, with additional functionality beyond remote capabilities now accomplished by in-app purchase. Those who have previously bought the app have full access to these paid features.
Here are some of the major updates you can expect in Plex 4.0:
- We've completely redesigned the app, both visually and structurally. It's easier than ever to navigate your libraries & find something to play, and the new discovery features help you get to the content you're most likely to want. You can continue browsing during playback and use the new mini player to see and control what's currently playing. We've also added support for more recent media server improvements like extras, related content, and our awesome new music features. All of this great functionality is presented with our beautiful new visual style - it's fast, fluid and fun.
- The new single-server UI matches other modern Plex apps. All servers are treated equally, whether they belong to you, or have been shared with you by someone else.
- Our brand new audio player is much faster when loading or seeking, and switches seamlessly between cellular & wifi networks without interrupting playback. We're also well on our way to gapless playback support (it's close, but not quite perfect yet).
- The video player has been enhanced with the addition of chapter selection and the ability to choose audio streams, subtitles, and video quality during playback.
- There are many, many improvements to Mobile Sync. Playlists can now be synced, incremental syncs are super fast, and background downloads mean you no longer need to leave the app open for a sync to complete. We took the core of the Plex Media Server, shrank it down and embedded it within the iOS app, so your synced content will now benefit from all the rich browsing, discovery and playback features it provides.
- You can browse your camera roll, and fling your photos and videos to other Plex players.
- Multi-user households, rejoice! The app now supports Plex Home, including managed users.
- There's also support for secure connections to Plex Media Server. When you see the green padlock badge next to your server, your connection is fully encrypted.
Plex 4.0 is available now for iPhone and iPad from the App Store.
- Free - Download Now
Get more iMore in your inbox!
Our news, reviews, opinions, and easy to follow guides can turn any iPhone owner into an Apple aficionado
Joseph Keller is the former Editor in Chief of iMore. An Apple user for almost 20 years, he spends his time learning the ins and outs of iOS and macOS, always finding ways of getting the most out of his iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac.