Firecore has released an updated version of its aTV Flash (black) software that runs on any jailbroken second generation Apple TV. The new update, version 1.2, adds in some nice new features like video zoom options, grid view, watched icons, quick access to recently visited browser pages and a huge raft of bug fixes.
- Three all new zoom options (Normal, Crop, and Stretch) allow you choose how videos are displayed. You can keep videos in their native format (widescreen or pillar box) or crop/stretch them to fill the entire screen.
- Watched indicator icons have been added to the grid view. These icons allow you to quickly see which content is new and ready to be enjoyed. (Note: These can be disabled through the Media --> Settings menu if desired)
- Couch Surfer now displays thumbnail images in the 'top shelf' area of the main menu, which allows you to quickly get back to recently viewed pages.
- Added video zoom options (available through Playback Menu)
- Added watched indicators to grid view
- Added 'Recently Visited' section to Browser top shelf
- Added support for MicroDVD .SUB files
- Added screensaver during pause
- Added file delete option
- Added activity indicator for metadata clearing
- Added 'tune' icon placeholder for audio files without metadata
- Added episode number to the fetched name the list view
- Added Reload Metadata' option in contextual menu for folders
- Added 'no items' message to the 'Unwatched' filter of the list view
- Added gray ticket image caching
- Added loading screen when opening Manage Extras menu
- Improved scrubber bar logic
- Improved audio feedback for watched and pre-playback screens
- Improved poster loading for large folders
- Improved support for DVDs without menus
- Improved subtitle support for right-to-left languages (e.g. Hebrew)
- Improved installer device detection
- Resolved minor memory management issues
- Resolved issues with subtitles settings while playing a playlist
- Resolved issues with yellow subtitles displayed for movies converted with Handbrake
- Resolved conflicts with default audio player
- Resolved issues with passwords that contain @ symbols
- Resolved issues with metadata loading for files that contain '/' in folder or file name
- Resolved buffer overflow in libafpclient observed when navigating folders with long names
- Resolved issues with installer Bonjour detection
- Resolved rare crashes during web browsing
- Changed metadata format to S.# / Ep.# for TV Shows
- Disabled metadata processing during movie playback
- Corrected audio feedback when pressing Menu while in grid view
- Minor UI improvements
- Other miscellaneous bug fixes
If you are already a user of aTV Flash (black), you can update easily through the Maintenance menu on your Apple TV.
If you’re not already jailbroken, you can jailbreak your AppleTV via Seas0nPass. You’ll just need the most recent version of Seas0nPass and a micro-usb cable. For help, you can check out our guide on how to jailbreak the AppleTV second generation. All the steps will remain the same as long as you grab the correct version of Seas0nPass for your AppleTV firmware.