You don't have to put up with any iMessages you don't want to. Mute, block, or report them with ease.
Just because anyone can send you an iMessage on your iPhone or iPad doesn't mean you have to let them. If you're getting messaged too often, if you keep getting messages meant for someone else, of if — ugh! — you're getting spam, you can absolutely take action again it. Mute, block, and reporting are all here for you.
- How to mute conversations on iPhone and iPad
- How to block someone via iMessage on the iPhone or iPad
- How to report iMessage spam to Apple
How to mute iMessage conversations on iPhone and iPad
- Launch the Messages app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap the conversation you'd like to mute — it can be a group message or a conversation with only one other person.
Tap on the Details button in the upper right hand corner.
Turn the Do Not Disturb toggle to the On position.
You should now see a half moon icon next to conversations that you've silenced.
Unlike the leaving groups feature, the Do Not Disturb feature works regardless of whether or not some of the participants are using SMS instead of iMessage.
How to block someone via iMessage on the iPhone or iPad
- Launch the Messages app from the Home screen of your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap the conversation of the person you're trying to block.
Tap Details at the top right.
Tap on the Info button.
- Swipe up to scroll to the bottom and tap Block this Caller.
Tap Block Contact in the popup confirmation that appears.
With a contact blocked, you will not receive any messages, calls, or Facetime requests from that person. If you ever happen to change your mind and want to unblock said person, it's as easy as following the same steps as above and tapping Unblock This Caller.
How to report iMessage spam to Apple
In a perfect world, we'd never have to deal with spam at all. Unfortunately, the world is a chaotic place filled with spammers who want to waste your time and inbox space with their trash offers. But, you don't just have to sit there and take the spam abuse. Fight back by reporting iMessage spam to Apple.
If you receive a spam text or iMessage in the Messages app from a number or email address that is not in your contacts list, you will see the option to Report as Junk at the very bottom. To report a message as spam:
- Tap on the blue Report as Junk link at the very bottom of the message.
Tap Delete and Report Junk button in the pop up menu. I've highlighted the Report Junk portion of the button because the delete function didn't work in my testing.
Alternatively, you can report spam directly to Apple via email. Take a screenshot of the offending spam message, the phone number or email it came from, and the time of day you received it and send it to email@example.com and Apple will investigate the claim.