Convertbot Forum Review by msbaylor. (Visit the thread for video and more pics. For more Forum Reviews, see the TiPb iPhone App Store Forum!)
ConvertBot is by Tapbots - the developers of WeightBot and for those of you that love the way the application operates, this one will not let you down.
This is probably the sleekest conversion application I have seen with its cool animations and sounds. However, the only issues I ran into – it takes longer than I thought the program should take to load. At first I believed that it was the app itself checking an Internet connection to update the currency conversions, but when I put my iPhone in Airplane mode, it took just as long. But it is a good thing to note that even though the currencies could not update, the program is still usable.
The sleek interface is what really makes this app so nice. This has to be the coolest working Conversion app for the iPhone. The “wheel” that takes up the main part of the screen can be rotated to set the conversion type:
- Angles: Degree, Radian, & Grad
- Area: Square Meter, Square Centimeter, Square Millimeter, Square Mile, Acre, Square Kilometer, Square Yard, Square Foot, Square Inch
- Currency: Australian Dollar, Brazilian Real, Canadian Dollar, Swiss Franc, Danish Krone, Euro, Pound Sterling (UK), Japanese Yen, Mexican Peso, Swedish Krona, US Dollar
- Length: Foot, Meter, Inch, Centimeter, Mile, Kilometer, Nautical Mile, Yard, Millimeter, Foot+Inch
- Mass: Milligram, Kilogram, Pound, Ounce, Gram, Stone, Stone+Pound, Metric Ton, Pound+Ounce
- Power: Watt, Horsepower, Kilowatt, BTU/Minute, Foot-Pound/Minute, Foot-Pound/Second
- Pressure: Pound/Square Inch, Centimeters of Mercury, Inches of Mercury, Kilogram/Square Meter, Pascal, Atmospheres, Bars, Pounds/Square Foot
- Speed: Miles/Hour, Kilometers/Hour, Knots, Miles/Second, Miles/Minute, Feet/Minute, Feet/Second, Kilometers/Minutes
- Temperature: Celsius, Kelvin, Fahrenheit
- Time: Second, Millisecond, Microsecond, Nanoseconds, Year, Week, Day, Hour, Minute, Hour + Minute
- Volume: Cup, Teaspoon, Tablespoon, Cubic Feet, Gallon (UK), Quart, Pint, Ounce, Cubic Meter, Gallon (US), Liter, Milliliter, Cubic Centimeter
- Work (Energy): Kilogram Calorie, Foot Pound, Newton Meter, Joule, BTU, Erg, Watt Hour, Calorie
Once you have rotated the wheel to the type/category, then you tap on the bottom left button and you use the “wheel” to select the specific conversion unit, take the center blue button, “ok” and it locks that unit in. This unit is the unit you are converting from. The other black button is the unit you want to convert to. You repeat the same process of locking in the unit.
By tapping on the top “number screen,” this opens up a keypad so that you can type in the amount you are converting from. The application has a live update, in which the app auto converts as you type the number into the app. Tapping on the “number screen” again brings back the conversion “wheel”
You can tap on the center wheel to switch the units if you need to.
By tapping on the “i” icon you can view the Settings which allows you to turn the sound on or off as well as the choice of viewing the Demo (which is quite a nice feature in the app).
- Would like to have the “wheel” spin more smoothly, rather than “clicking” into place.
- Not as common currencies are not available in the app. (exe.: Argentinian Pesos or Chilean Peso)
- Sleek Interface
- Sounds & animation to go with each “screen” or tap
- Complex conversions
- Takes quite long to update currencies at app start up (quicker in airplane mode, due to currencies not updating)
- “Wheel” ‘clicks’ into place rather than smoothly rolling.
- Uncommon currencies not available
TiPb Review Rating
[Convertbot (opens in new tab) is available for $0.99 from the iTunes App Store.]
This app has some cool graphics and effects but it can be a bit slow if you want to convert something quick. I have been using gUnit which is another iPhone unit converter app that's pretty easy to use.
This review is slightly outdated! There is an update adding WAY more units! With those added, this deserves a 5!
I have to say that for the past couple of hours i have been hooked by the amazing articles on this website. Keep up the great work.
Vehicle wraps we are desertwraps.com, we focus on vehicle wraps in palm desert, CA. Golf cart wraps, vehicle graphics and vehicle skinz. We service the entire coachella vally. If you drive at least 20 thousand miles a year and don't have a vehicle wrap, you're missing out on 1,000,000. Potential new customers a year. A vehicle wrap is the most affordable and effective form of advertising today. But remeber, its not how much material you can put on a vehicle, it about how you comunicate the message to your target to provoke response. Desertwraps vehicle wraps in palm desert do just that.
Thank you for signing up to iMore. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.