Bose rolling out AirPlay 2 support for SoundTouch and Lifestyle speakers
What you need to know
- Bose has begun rolling out a firmware update that will bring AirPlay 2 support to some of its speakers.
- It announced that AirPlay 2 support would be available by the end of February early last month.
- It had initially planned to bring AirPlay 2 support to devices in 2019.
Bose has begun rolling out a firmware update that will bring AirPlay 2 support to some of its speakers.
In a forum post, Bose confirmed that its SoundTouch Firmware update, version 24.0.7 would begin rolling out on Tuesday, February 18:
The new firmware will bring AirPlay 2 support to the following devices:
- SoundTouch 10
- SoundTouch 20 Series III
- SoundTouch 30 Series III
- Bose SoundTouch SA-5 Amplifier
- Bose Wave SoundTouch Music System IV
- SoundTouch 300 soundbar
- Lifestyle 550 home entertainment system
- Lifestyle 600 home entertainment system
- Lifestyle 650 home entertainment system
Once updated, you'll be able to control your speakers directly from your iOS control center. To access it, touch and hold the audio card in the top-right hand corner, then select the AirPlay 2 icon. You'll also be able to control your speakers directly from some streaming services.
In January, Bose apologized to customers over the delay to support for AirPlay 2 stating:
Get more iMore in your inbox!
Our news, reviews, opinions, and easy to follow guides can turn any iPhone owner into an Apple aficionado
Stephen Warwick has written about Apple for five years at iMore and previously elsewhere. He covers all of iMore's latest breaking news regarding all of Apple's products and services, both hardware and software. Stephen has interviewed industry experts in a range of fields including finance, litigation, security, and more. He also specializes in curating and reviewing audio hardware and has experience beyond journalism in sound engineering, production, and design.
Before becoming a writer Stephen studied Ancient History at University and also worked at Apple for more than two years. Stephen is also a host on the iMore show, a weekly podcast recorded live that discusses the latest in breaking Apple news, as well as featuring fun trivia about all things Apple. Follow him on Twitter @stephenwarwick9