Worried that Apple's iAd's is getting too nosy about your personal information and wondering how to opt-out of sharing it with the advertising network? On the plus side personalized ads usually better reflect your interest and can be less annoying but if you're hyper-concerned about your privacy you may just want to cut it off. We'll show you how after the break.
[Apple knowledge base, thanks Dev!)
iAds uses aggregated, anonymized personal data to help serve ads it thinks will be more relevant to your personal interests. Google's AdMob and, frankly, every other online advertising system does the same. If that gives you the heebie-jeebies, however, Apple at least gives you a way to opt-out (advertising isn't their main business, go figure?). They'll also let you opt back in.
How to opt-out of iAds
- On your iPhone, iPad, and/or iPod touch (yes, you have to do this individually for each and every device), go to http://oo.apple.com.
- If/when you see the message "You have successfully opted out", you're done.
- Repeat with any and all of your other devices.
How to opt-in to iAds
- Once again on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch (and yes, once again you have to do this individually for each device), go to http://oo.apple.com
- You'll see a message saying you've already opted out but you'll also be given a link to opt back in. Tap on the link (it's a tiny text link, not iOS optimized at all -- sigh!)
- You should be opted back in at this point (we keep getting an error but it seems like we're opted back in.)
The fine print
It's important to remember you'll still see ads they just won't be personalized based on your device's information and your usage patterns any more. Also, you'll only be opted-out of Apple's iAd network and you'll still get Google, Microsoft, and independent ad networks tracking you unless/until they provide and you make use of their own opt-out systems. Minority Report indeed!
Tips of the day will range from beginner-level 101 to advanced-level ninjary. If you already know this tip, keep the link handy as a quick way to help a friend. If you have a tip of your own you'd like to suggest, add them to the comments or send them in to firstname.lastname@example.org. (If it's especially awesome and previously unknown to us, we'll even give ya a reward...)