You can watch live TV with Sony's PlayStation Vue app for the iPad if you happen to live in the right part of the US.
If you live in New York City, Chicago, or Philadelphia, you might be able to watch live TV on your iPad thanks to the launch this week of Sony's PlayStation Vue app. Sony first launched the PlayStation Vue service in those three cities in March for owners of its PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 consoles. The new iPad app requires that users already have an active PS Vue subscription running on one of those consoles.
Once that is all set up, users can watch over 40 cable and broadcast television networks both in their home and outside. Some channels won't be available for access on the iPad in the home due to content licensing and blackout issues. The full list of available channels can be found on Sony's PlayStation support site. Here's what else users can expect when they access the PlayStation Vue iPad app:
- Live, catch up, and on demand TV: watch TV, movies, and sports all without a cable or satellite subscription.
- My Shows: Access thousands of hours of your favorite shows by tagging them as My Shows. Live airings, catch up episodes, and on demand programming will be automatically saved to the cloud for up to 28 days. There are no conflicts to worry about, and there's thousands of hours of storage available.
- Favorite Channels: Give your channel-surfing thumb a break. Tag your favorite channels so they are front and center in the Guide and on the Home Screen.
- Explore: Find the perfect show for you. Narrow thousands of shows by genre, channel and other powerful filters so you can find exactly what you're looking for.
- Search: Stop guessing what's on. Integrated search combines results for live, Catch Up and recorded My Shows. Search history is saved for easy recall.
Sony has not yet announced when it plans to expand the PlayStation Vue service to more cities in the US.
- Free - Download now